Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's your favorite thing about being a Homebrewer?  (Read 4177 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: What's your favorite thing about being a Homebrewer?
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 07:06:09 am »
The best is creating the recipe and the expectations.
The worst is tasting the end product.  :P
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 07:40:24 am »
Cleaning out the mash tun...
Could be true if you had pigs or chickens. Those rascals go nutty for spent grains.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2015, 05:14:55 pm »
For me, it's the combination of art and science that makes brewing a unique hobby. 

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 07:56:07 pm »
For me it was sharing beer with friends and neighbors.

I think I screwed it up because I run commercial brewery and have to make a living from it.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2015, 08:37:27 am »
I really dig doing something that is so ancient; something that humans have been doing since they began civilization: something that practically defines civilization. Homebrewing has never been a distinct "hobby" to me; the reason I homebrew is the same reason I grow my own fruits and vegetables, raise chickens and keep bees. Its a way of life that is connected to the seasons and has no reward without first some learning, toil, and failures. Nothing beats drinking a homebrew outside near the garden at the end of a long summer day snacking on fresh cucumbers and tomatoes as the chickens peck at insects nearby and watching the honeybees gather nectar from the clover.

this is a big part of it for me. Being in a 'civilized' career and living in fairly 'civilized' areas of the world I have to find my connection with the human where and when I can. and having a hand, at an intimate level, with creating one of the things that gives us joy.

There is a large amount of this for me as well. The gardening, the brewing, the canning, these are also things I just enjoy on an immediate level. I may not know what the end is going to be, but I can focus on the things I am doing in the moment. Doing something over a long period of time from start to finish with a few steps here and a few steps there.... I think it is how immersed I can be in it in such a variety of ways that brings me pleasure.

The smell of the mash while drinking coffee. Rubbing the fresh hops in my hands. Friends and family enjoying it (or not). Good stuff.

For me, it is pretty well summed up by the others...... all of these sentiments are why I brew.  This is pretty much how my wife and I live our life, and brewing beer fits in perfectly with the rest of it.  Nothing beats sitting out on the porch, looking over the yard/gardens, and enjoying a great homebrew.

......On a side note, I think I may have to make a wall size poster of Jim's view and tape it to the window of my brew room.  Damn.

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 03:45:02 pm »
For me, it used to be working on recipes and tinkering with building my system - but now it's the company of fellow Homebrewers.  Honestly, I've met some of the best and most interesting people I know through homebrewing - especially those I've met through our local club and a few clubs from neighboring areas.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 04:13:58 pm »
For me, it used to be working on recipes and tinkering with building my system - but now it's the company of fellow Homebrewers.  Honestly, I've met some of the best and most interesting people I know through homebrewing - especially those I've met through our local club and a few clubs from neighboring areas.

well said. The people are great too. Well except for one or two old codgers. ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce