Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gelatin fining for pale ale?  (Read 3010 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Gelatin fining for pale ale?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 10:10:11 am »
Thanks guys. I hopped this beer up more than previous attempts and I really like the outcome right now however it is very young still. Maybe I will give it a couple of weeks to make further judgments and to see if it drops clear on it's own.

Man pushing that sulfate up to 200 ppm really made a difference...

Keep in mind that the polyphenols in the hops bind the proteins in the beer, so the more hops you add the more haze you'll have (up to a point).  Keep it cold and it'll clear on its own in a couple weeks.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 11:33:02 am »
This batch had a dramatic increase in efficiency over what I was normally getting possibly due to milling the grain very fine. Could the haze be related to more carry over of grain? I did up my hop amounts but nothing in comparison to what most here would use for a pale ale.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 11:42:19 am »
im guessing its more with the process: mash, boil, and perhaps fermentation vs your amount of hops used.

i mill at .027m FWIW and that doesn't impact my clarity vs. when i milled at .030+

edit: the other type of haze has to do with fermentation- PH and strong fermentation. http://www.love2brew.com/Articles.asp?ID=615
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:00:42 pm by wort-h.o.g. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 03:51:04 pm »
I suppose I will just leave it instead of mess with it. I am used to reasonably bright beers so it bugs me more than it should. Maybe it just needs some time.

FWIW, you sure can add gelatin to carbed beer. ive done it and cant say anything negative happened.

+1
Same here. Have used it in the keg fully carbonated and only noticed improved clarity--and taste due to less yeast in suspension.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 10:27:00 am »
So it seems to be slowly clarifying so I won't worry about it now. I will use gelatin if I don't see considerable change in a couple of weeks. I am contemplating throwing another ounce of hops in the keg since it still doesn't seem to have the aroma that I want. I think I got a little impatient during fermentation and dry hopped a little to soon...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale