Author Topic: stop drinking for a month  (Read 3495 times)

Offline chumley

• Brewmaster
Re: stop drinking for a month
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 08:23:55 PM »
I did this once, for the same reason.  The first week was tough, the next three were easy.

Right now I am working on no alcohol for 3 days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday).  Wednesday is cheap growler night at the local brew pub, and Friday/Saturday/Sunday is the weekend.  I might try another month without alcohol again, but that will have to wait until after the Super Bowl.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 11:03:22 PM »
I am a one a day guy, not counting anything given to me, or that I brewed, or if we have company.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 11:07:24 PM »
I am a one a day guy, not counting anything given to me, or that I brewed, or if we have company.
I like that standard a lot Jim, I may start to follow it as well, lol
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg: Ringler Pilsner (thanx Ron); House Clone (Skotrat style)
In the works:  BVIP, Czech Dark Lager

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 11:10:02 PM »
I like that standard a lot Jim, I may start to follow it as well, lol

+1.  It has a certain "the ice cream on the lid has no calories" quality.  Thanks Jim!  8)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 01:04:39 AM »
I didn't used to drink much during the week before I opened Yellowhammer... and while I have noble intentions of temperance Monday through Thursday it is challenging to keep that policy. First off, there's sooo muuuch beeeer. I literally have to sample beer every day, literally wether I like it or not. Meaning, sometimes I am not really ready for a beer and I have to sample.

Then, there are about 15 or so taps on the wall that are just there and after a long, 12 hour day, it is very tempting to pull them - especially during the hot Alabama summer.

But the worst part is bottling days, because we will always have a beer that get's miscapped floating down the bottling line, and we will get dozens of them during the day. They are perfectly fine beers, literally ice cold, and destined to be trashed - and it is hard not to pull one of those off the line near the end of the day and knock it back.

So there are a hand full of days that I abstain during the year, but usually I feel I'm doing pretty good if I don't drink a beer until after 4...

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 01:10:25 AM »
I'll add (perhaps obvious) the fact that many of us are probably imbibing more than 2 drinks based on what our doctors think is a drink.

I'll often remind myself that if I have 3 IPA's at 7%, I've really had about 5 Bud Lights. Food for thought.

Offline narcout

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 01:24:04 AM »
I'll add (perhaps obvious) the fact that many of us are probably imbibing more than 2 drinks based on what our doctors think is a drink.

I'll often remind myself that if I have 3 IPA's at 7%, I've really had about 5 Bud Lights. Food for thought.

Yes, I believe a standard drink is considered to be 12 oz. of 5% ABV beer. 

I find it useful to break everything down into points (a standard drink is 60 points: 12 x 5).  A pint of 7% IPA is actually about 1.86 drinks:  (16 x 7) / 60.
There's nothing left to dismantle; the house it just collapsed on itself.  - A. Savage

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 01:33:28 AM »
I sometimes feel a bit sheepish when answering that question at the doctor/dentist. Why do they make the numbers stop at 6-8 per week making 9+ seem like a lot?

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 03:36:56 AM »
My wife wanted to do the January alcohol free thing and asked me to join her. Day 8 and it hasn't been too bad, although a warming big beer would be nice tonight with the howling wind and blowing snow outside.

The hardest thing was that she didn't warn me far enough in advance and the steam beer I brewed was just ready at the end of December. I'm sure it will taste even better 2/1.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 01:01:56 PM »

You are a pretty tough guy. 5 Bud lights would put me in the hospital

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »
Whoops. I meant 4! See what drinking IPA's does to you?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 01:04:45 PM »

You are a pretty tough guy. 5 Bud lights would put me in the hospital

Love a good morning laugh.    ;)
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 05:56:41 PM »
I didn't used to drink much during the week before I opened Yellowhammer... and while I have noble intentions of temperance Monday through Thursday it is challenging to keep that policy. First off, there's sooo muuuch beeeer. I literally have to sample beer every day, literally wether I like it or not. Meaning, sometimes I am not really ready for a beer and I have to sample.

Then, there are about 15 or so taps on the wall that are just there and after a long, 12 hour day, it is very tempting to pull them - especially during the hot Alabama summer.

But the worst part is bottling days, because we will always have a beer that get's miscapped floating down the bottling line, and we will get dozens of them during the day. They are perfectly fine beers, literally ice cold, and destined to be trashed - and it is hard not to pull one of those off the line near the end of the day and knock it back.

So there are a hand full of days that I abstain during the year, but usually I feel I'm doing pretty good if I don't drink a beer until after 4...
Alas! We have found an honest man!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 06:18:25 PM »

hahahaha..... I think those are the same rules I follow ;D

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »

Alas! We have found an honest man!

I'm just glad to know someone reads to the end of my meaningless posts! :D