Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: stop drinking for a month  (Read 6770 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: stop drinking for a month
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 04:52:03 pm »
I will add to this thread that I recall reading something a year or two back that there is a significant social movement in the UK where individuals choose to make all of January a dry month for them to 'clear the system' so to speak.  The article quoted a gastroenterologist who said it was silly.  What would be more beneficial health-wise is to periodically take 3-4 days off from alcohol consumption.  Apparently that is all your body needs.  More time off isn't bad, it just doesn't increase the benefit as I recall.

My 6 weeks during Lent is a spiritual discipline that has only a secondary purpose of rejuvenating the physical system.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 04:59:04 pm »
I will add to this thread that I recall reading something a year or two back that there is a significant social movement in the UK where individuals choose to make all of January a dry month for them to 'clear the system' so to speak.  The article quoted a gastroenterologist who said it was silly.  What would be more beneficial health-wise is to periodically take 3-4 days off from alcohol consumption.  Apparently that is all your body needs.  More time off isn't bad, it just doesn't increase the benefit as I recall.

My 6 weeks during Lent is a spiritual discipline that has only a secondary purpose of rejuvenating the physical system.
If the spiritual side is solid you can skip the secondary

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2015, 10:20:39 pm »

If the spiritual side is solid you can skip the secondary
Bingo. Just rack it right into the keg.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2015, 01:34:12 am »
ouch, I tracked down the article. What do I do now?  Drink to its advice?  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2259350/Resolved-alcohol-January-It-harm-good.html
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Frank P.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2015, 05:44:25 am »
ouch, I tracked down the article. What do I do now?  Drink to its advice?  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2259350/Resolved-alcohol-January-It-harm-good.html
This makes the most sense to me, a couple days off a week to give the liver a rest as opposed to 11 months of constant use and one month off. I also would point out that it seems people tend to only look at the liver when thinking of alcohol intake. Its important to look at its effect on obesity, diabetes, mental health, etc. also its important to weigh the benefits. And then there's wether or not you turn into an asshole when your drunk.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2015, 10:06:52 am »
Frank P.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2015, 06:10:58 pm »
I assume when you say "interesting" you mean "worrisome".

No, not worrisome.  I really did find it interesting.  Though not a scientific, double-blind, etc. study, it is surely valid - or at least instructive. 
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2015, 09:05:48 am »
So, starting my one month dryathlon today. So will be paying a  bit more attention to my meals. Tonight coq-au-vin. Tomorrow rabbit stew with trappist sauce, then later this week sole with riesling, carbonades a la flamande with pannepot, risotto allo spumante, caesar salad with olive oil and lambic vinegar, and shrimps with cocktail sauce.
Frank P.

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2015, 10:02:00 am »
I'm at 1-3 on any given week night. 4-6 on the average Saturday but it all depends on what I'm doing. If I'm out and about like yesterday, I had 2 beers and one single malt. If I was brewing or doing yard work then going to a buddies house, I may be up to 6+. But that's only if it Homebrew. Can't do more than 2 commercial brews in an evening.

But my days of a 12 pack nights are behind me.

Then once or twice a year I'll step away from alcohol, but that's because I have the flu or something :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2015, 12:36:51 pm »
So, starting my one month dryathlon today. So will be paying a  bit more attention to my meals. Tonight coq-au-vin. Tomorrow rabbit stew with trappist sauce, then later this week sole with riesling, carbonades a la flamande with pannepot, risotto allo spumante, caesar salad with olive oil and lambic vinegar, and shrimps with cocktail sauce.
Brandied peaches over spiced rum ice cream would be a good dessert. ;D
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2015, 12:50:37 pm »
Brandied peaches over spiced rum ice cream would be a good dessert. ;D

As long as they have been flambéed. I have my principles, my good man.
Frank P.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2015, 06:37:27 am »
I guess the real reason why I'm doing this is to prove that I'm able to :-(

Every so often I'll stop drinking for a week or two for this very reason. I just want to be sure that I can.

It's been a while since I've gone more than a few days without something alcoholic. There are too many good reasons to have a beer. Like taco night. You gotta have a beer on taco night.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2015, 06:39:38 am »
You gotta have a beer on taco night.

Maybe I should stay away from beer forums for a month as well  :(
Frank P.