Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing for the New Year  (Read 3141 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Brewing for the New Year
« on: January 08, 2015, 11:51:57 am »
So this year I am going to do what I think a lot of other people have done and probably are already doing. The beer that I am going to brew on Saturday will be an Irish Red. After that I am going to do some sort of British Ale and then move on to a Scottish Ale. When these beers are complete I am going to tackle different beers from Europe that I have wanted to try and brew. My wife is wanting me to attempt a fruit Lambic but that one I want to do some research for a good 4-5 months before doing. If anyone else has done this let me know!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brewing for the New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 01:34:12 pm »
Before you tackle fruit lambics ask yourself whether your wife likes those from Lindeman's or those from Cantillon.  Big difference.  My wife likes the Lindemnn's, and my fruit lambics tasted more like Cantillon's.  Which explains why she hated Cantillon's beers when we visited in October 2013.

I too like to try brewing my favorite European beers, as some of them, especially the lower gravity ones, rarely arrive here in good shape.  Plus, they are more of a challenge.  Anyone can knock out a APA/IPA/IIPA that tastes great, try making a great Dusseldorf alt or Czech pilsner.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 02:19:58 pm »
For the next 6 months, I'm gonna be happy to brew what I can when I can.  I've got a BGSA sitting on matsutake mushrooms now and brewed a Duss. alt yesterday.  Next week I'm doing 4 batches to evaluate different sugars, then I hope to sneak in an IPA sometime after that.  Then I have 5 samples from Cascade Candi Syrup I have to brew with and evaluate.  I had visions of brewing a Maibock soon, but I don't know where that's gonna fit.  All of this on top of an incredibly tight deadline for the next book and travelling to promote the current one.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 02:46:49 pm »
That's the kind of retirement  I dream about Denny!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 03:10:52 pm »
german pils, porter, apple ale, a TBD stout.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 03:19:04 pm »
For the next 6 months, I'm gonna be happy to brew what I can when I can.  I've got a BGSA sitting on matsutake mushrooms now and brewed a Duss. alt yesterday.  Next week I'm doing 4 batches to evaluate different sugars, then I hope to sneak in an IPA sometime after that.  Then I have 5 samples from Cascade Candi Syrup I have to brew with and evaluate.  I had visions of brewing a Maibock soon, but I don't know where that's gonna fit.  All of this on top of an incredibly tight deadline for the next book and travelling to promote the current one.
I brewed an Imperial IPA yesterday and have plans for a Maibock next month. I'll be thinking of you when I brew it.
My retirement is sure a lot less hectic than yours.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 03:27:41 pm »
Brewed Saison on New Years, IPA this Saturday, Coffee Stout in two weeks. All are trial beers for my wedding. Late to the game and if I am not happy, I will be making final adjustments on the next batch.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 03:44:38 pm »

Brewed Saison on New Years, IPA this Saturday, Coffee Stout in two weeks. All are trial beers for my wedding. Late to the game and if I am not happy, I will be making final adjustments on the next batch.
How many gallons you brewing up for your wedding Steve?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 03:47:41 pm »
I'm trying to commit to brewing every 3 weeks. That's 17 batches per year. Unfirtunately, I have about 25 batches in mind for the year. Will be interesting
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 04:08:07 pm »
Recently brewed APA. Gonna brew a standard bock, dortmunder, and all new hop varieties IPA(s) soon.  Belgian
blond and American/oatmeal stout (Shakespeare-ish) hopefully after.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 04:53:44 pm »

4 - 10 gallon batches and 1 - 15 gallon batch. Only 5 gallons of each beer is going to be served. The guys helping me brew and ferment these are taking the other portions. I'm paying for 100% of the ingredients.

4% 80/-, 5% kolsch (nelson fhw of course), 6% coffee stout, 6% saison, 7% IPA. Brew day is in 6 weeks and I've wasted way to much time brewing small test batches that I never get around to bottling. We will also have unlimited wine and a keg of a commercial pro-am beer from my saison recipe with basil in it.

Jonathan (mort) was going to be part of the brewday, but alas, he is moving back to the land of the topper and leaving more pliny for me.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 05:00:47 pm »

4 - 10 gallon batches and 1 - 15 gallon batch. Only 5 gallons of each beer is going to be served. The guys helping me brew and ferment these are taking the other portions. I'm paying for 100% of the ingredients.

4% 80/-, 5% kolsch (nelson fhw of course), 6% coffee stout, 6% saison, 7% IPA. Brew day is in 6 weeks and I've wasted way to much time brewing small test batches that I never get around to bottling. We will also have unlimited wine and a keg of a commercial pro-am beer from my saison recipe with basil in it.

Jonathan (mort) was going to be part of the brewday, but alas, he is moving back to the land of the topper and leaving more pliny for me.

that's awesome. memories for sure-congrats.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 05:02:57 pm »
Sounds like a pretty solid lineup !
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 05:07:19 pm »

Sounds like a pretty solid lineup !
Yeah, I needed a bit of everything and wanted to spread the ABV out. Having glasses printed with a monogram that our photographer is designing. Cheaper to buy and freight glasses compared to renting them.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 05:11:38 pm »
I did something similar for my wedding. I had a nice variety of stuff brewed up, too. The reception party was pretty stellar.
Jon H.