Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best dry yeast for a scotch ale?  (Read 12791 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Best dry yeast for a scotch ale?
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:51:11 pm »
I'm brewing a scotch ale this weekend and unfortunately my LHBS had almost no liquid yeast so I'm using dry. I have US-04 and US-05. I typically use liquid yeast so my dry yeast experience is limited. I'm planning a 1.070ish scotch ale mashed at around 156F. I want to ferment in the low 60's and my LHBS said US-04 might be better with a lower flocculation but at lower temps throws off acetaldehyde? Looking for a bit of experienced guidance! ;)
Thanks gang ;D
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Best dry yeast for a scotch ale?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 01:26:38 pm »
IMO, WY1728 is the absolute best choice for a wee heavy.  Of the 2 you list, 05 would be much closer to that than 04.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:28:07 pm »
1728 rocks.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 02:21:26 pm »
1728 rocks.

And you can ferment it at 52-55F so you get a very clean, malty beer.  Personally, I wouldn't make a wee heavy unless I used Simpson's Golden Promise and 1728.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 02:42:27 pm »
I have never had any acetaldehyde issues with S04 and I use it and US05 a lot. Also, S04 has much higher flocculation than US05 and will produce brighter beers quicker.

I have not brewed any scotch ales so I cannot give a good recommendation for yeast choice...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 02:44:33 pm »
1728 rocks.

And you can ferment it at 52-55F so you get a very clean, malty beer.  Personally, I wouldn't make a wee heavy unless I used Simpson's Golden Promise and 1728.
That's a valuable point to hear Denny. I like the idea of making skotrat's wee heavy, but was not sure about finding the GP. I'm sure it's around here somewhere just have not used it yet. Now I know/ feel that I need/want it before making an attempt
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 03:23:40 pm »
IMO, WY1728 is the absolute best choice for a wee heavy.  Of the 2 you list, 05 would be much closer to that than 04.
Several years ago I brewed a batch of 80 shilling with 1726 and then the same recipe with WLP Scottish yeast and very much preferred the 1728.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 03:26:21 pm »
That's a valuable point to hear Denny. I like the idea of making skotrat's wee heavy, but was not sure about finding the GP. I'm sure it's around here somewhere just have not used it yet. Now I know/ feel that I need/want it before making an attempt

I can't get it locally and just ordered 20 lbs from MoreBeer. Price was ok and with some starter DME and StarSan, I hit the $59 free shipping.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 03:26:29 pm »
I haven't tried it, but I'll bet the Windsor ale yeast would make a great wee heavy.  Worth an experiment sometime...

When in doubt, split your batch and use two or more different kinds of yeast.  Then you can taste them all separately and see which one is the most awesome.  This is super cheap and easy with dry yeast.  Then you'll know what you like for subsequent batches.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 03:28:31 pm »

Yep, great temp tolerance.  Can of worms - never got the Wyeast 'smoky' character, not once.  And I agree - no Wee Heavy without 1728 and GP for me either !

EDIT -  Though I've never used it @ 52F. I've used it @ 56F a bunch of times and loved how clean it was. Good info.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:55:58 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 03:32:11 pm »
I'm planning a Scottish ale later in the year and was going to give Munton's a go at it.
It's a moderate attenuator and works down into the upper 50s like Scottish ale yeast.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 03:32:54 pm »
I used S-05 for a Scottish 70 last year and it was great. This was based on the recommendation from Jamil to use 1056 in that class of beers.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 03:44:52 pm »

I can't get it locally and just ordered 20 lbs from MoreBeer. Price was ok and with some starter DME and StarSan, I hit the $59 free shipping.
Thanks Steve
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 07:14:53 pm »
I just made a wee heavy, and tried S04. It had way too much fruity esters for my taste.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 06:57:38 am »
I would say that US-05 is the cleaner of the two yeasts especially when fermented cool.  I have made several low gravity scottish ales with it and found it to function well for this style when liquid is not available.