Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kettle Thermometer  (Read 1340 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Kettle Thermometer
« on: January 08, 2015, 02:53:08 pm »
Just got the Blichmann G2 Boilermaker into today, great looking equipment! I noticed they included a small piece of metal for a heat shield and the instructions say to use it to not damage the thermometer.

Since I am using this as an HLT with lower temps and I will most likely rely on my Thermapen for exact temps, can I skip the shield? Should I just not use the thermometer and plug the hole?

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/sites/default/files/BoilerMakerG2%20Owners%20Manual-%20V3.pdf

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Kettle Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:13:08 pm »
It all depends on your burner setup. If your flame is under control and not licking the side of the kettle, I double it will be an issue.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 03:49:13 pm »
Going back to your previous post, what is your perception of construction quality on this kettle compared to what you shipped back?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 03:54:37 pm »
As a point of reference, my BruGear  kettle came with a thermometer as well. I have brewed with it installed as I don't have a plug for it at the moment. It will definitely not replace my handheld thermometers but buying another part seems like a hassle. The bonus of plugging it would be a slimmer overall profile for my or your kettle. If you find it gets in the way, cap it I guess. Mine makes my kettle even bulkier than it already is. It's beautiful, but heavy and awkward  compared to my plain old 34 qt kettle. Another note is that I have gotten temp differences between the kettle therm (lower portion of kettle) and hand held dipped into the top of kettle. The kettle therm is adjustable, but I have been referencing both for strike Temps and adjusting in tun if necessary. Sorry so long, just my thoughts, good luck and let us know how you like it
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 04:13:51 pm »
I have Blichmann thermometers (though not the ones with adjustable faces) on both my HLT and boil kettle.  My experience has been that they both cloud up, heat shield or no heat shield.

They dry out between brew days, and still function perfectly (I've been using them for 3 or 4 years).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 04:29:02 pm »
Going back to your previous post, what is your perception of construction quality on this kettle compared to what you shipped back?

Flawless!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:35:15 pm by flbrewer »

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 05:07:04 pm »
Use the heat shield.  Blichmann has talked about thermometers being damaged from failing to use.  It really has nothing to do with the temp of your contents, it is all about shielding the gear on the front of your kettle from too much heat from the flame.  You'll sit the kettle just barely on top of the heat shield, leaving enough shield hanging out to block flame/heat exposure.