Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bucket lid problems  (Read 6790 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Bucket lid problems
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 12:31:32 pm »
Regardless, the CO2 blanket will protect the beer as long as you don't leave the beer in there for months, or open the lid every day. Love my buckets. 
Well if this is the case, why not just ferment in stainless kettles that will last forever?
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 12:51:58 pm »
Regardless, the CO2 blanket will protect the beer as long as you don't leave the beer in there for months, or open the lid every day. Love my buckets. 
Well if this is the case, why not just ferment in stainless kettles that will last forever?

I'm assuming you mean something like this one.  If so, that's something I've been thinking about quite a bit.

http://morebeer.com/products/brew-bucket-stainless-steel-fermenter.html?gclid=CPy_8c-VhcMCFepAMgod8hkA6g

Until I decide, I do like regular old buckets, though.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 08:22:09 pm »
I was actually talking about plain old kettles with the lid resting on top. There is a pretty cool thread on HomeBrewTalk about cutting a silicone hose and putting it on the rim of the kettle and clamping the lid on with binder clamps. Seems like it could be a good way to seal a kettle for fermenting.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 05:48:18 am »
I was actually talking about plain old kettles with the lid resting on top. There is a pretty cool thread on HomeBrewTalk about cutting a silicone hose and putting it on the rim of the kettle and clamping the lid on with binder clamps. Seems like it could be a good way to seal a kettle for fermenting.

Never heard that one. I'll have to read up. Thanks.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 07:16:01 am »

Never heard that one. I'll have to read up. Thanks.
Yeah, it seems pretty slick. Don't think it'll work with every kettle, depends if it has a lip or not around the edge for the binder clips to grab on to to make a good seal.
Jesse

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 07:21:59 am »
I don't have a problem fermenting in a bucket. I find that sometimes the seal is good and the airlock bubbles and sometimes it doesn't. Usually the problem is that the seal in the lid has moved a little so the remedy is to check the lid before you put it on for fermentation and make sure you have pushed the lid flush with the top of the lid all the way around. That eliminates the problem of a leaky lid 99% of the time.

I haven't used my bucket for sour beer but I have had beer sit in a bucket for several months without problems.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 07:27:31 am »
I don't have a problem fermenting in a bucket. I find that sometimes the seal is good and the airlock bubbles and sometimes it doesn't. Usually the problem is that the seal in the lid has moved a little so the remedy is to check the lid before you put it on for fermentation and make sure you have pushed the lid flush with the top of the lid all the way around. That eliminates the problem of a leaky lid 99% of the time.

I haven't used my bucket for sour beer but I have had beer sit in a bucket for several months without problems.

I've never had any issues using buckets, either.  I've done it for so long it's second nature.  But I am considering the SS bucket/conical thing I posted. I know a couple guys that like theirs pretty well.
Jon H.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 08:18:40 pm »
SS buckets are fine, until you need 4 going at one time. Buys a lot of buckets!  I have no issue with buckets at all.
Jeff B