Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Kettle  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Luke

• 1st Kit
Brew Kettle
« on: November 19, 2018, 06:17:42 pm »
Been looking around for a budget 10 gallon kettle and stumbled upon the ColdBreak brand.  Anyone have any experience with this brand?  Tri-clad bottom, induction capable, etched markings and 1.2 mm walls.  https://www.coldbreakbrewing.com/collections/kettles/products/10-gallon-stainless-steel-kettle-with-valve

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brew Kettle
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 07:21:16 am »
I’d be concerned with the weldless bulkhead ball valve. My old kettle had one and though I never had a problem and you may not either... I was always crossing my fingers that o-ring didn’t fail at the wrong time. I prefer my new kettle with a pull thru welded fitting at the ball valve. Weldless fitting o-rings on the outside of a round vessel compress well at the north and south points but not as well on the east and west points. The opposite is true on the inside where the east and west points of the nut/washer are tight while the north and south make less contact.

If you do get it I recommend a heat shield for that valve o-ring especially if you’re using propane. If you’re using induction I doubt you’ll need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Luke

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 11:59:46 pm »
I’d be concerned with the weldless bulkhead ball valve. My old kettle had one and though I never had a problem and you may not either... I was always crossing my fingers that o-ring didn’t fail at the wrong time. I prefer my new kettle with a pull thru welded fitting at the ball valve. Weldless fitting o-rings on the outside of a round vessel compress well at the north and south points but not as well on the east and west points. The opposite is true on the inside where the east and west points of the nut/washer are tight while the north and south make less contact.

If you do get it I recommend a heat shield for that valve o-ring especially if you’re using propane. If you’re using induction I doubt you’ll need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info on the weldless.  I’ve not used that set up and was wondering how well it might or might not seal.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 02:53:35 pm »
I wouldn't be worried about weldless fittings. I would suggest you get a larger size unless you never plan to make anything larger than 5 gallon batches.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Luke

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 11:53:25 am »
I wouldn't be worried about weldless fittings. I would suggest you get a larger size unless you never plan to make anything larger than 5 gallon batches.

So I went with a 15 gallon GasOne kettle.  Supposedly 18 guage stainless with weldless fittings.  Seems solid enough, but I’m concerned where the handles are welded on. It appear like there may have been burn through?  I’m not an expert of course.  Is this something to be concerned by?  Picture attached.

Sorry, can't find a way to properly link this up.  The link is to the image on dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9d7ypwpcau8km8e/IMG_2689.JPG?dl=0
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:36:59 pm by Luke »