Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cascadian Dark Ales  (Read 4071 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Cascadian Dark Ales
« on: January 09, 2015, 09:31:17 am »
Whats your thoughts on CDAs?  I have only made 1 back in 2010 and have vague memories of it and havent had one since. Thinking of using blackprinz malt being it has a low roast character and making it more towards a pale ale ABV. Even contemplated a cascadian dark lager like maybe a swartz but americanized but dont want to ruin a good thing:) of course i would use NW hops like Columbus, cascade, cent, chinooks. Do ya think roast and NW hops clash?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Cascadian Dark Ales
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 09:48:36 am »
No, I don't think they clash.  I made one last Summer using a standard IPA grain bill with the addition of Blackprinz.   Flavor/Aroma hops were Centennial, Amarillo, Citra.  I did a 100% Brett fermentation though.

It was OK.  Nothing wrong with it, it was just too subdued in the flavor/aroma area for my tastes.  If I do it again, (Brett or not) I will pump up the hops.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 09:49:38 am »
I have only brewed one once and it didn't turn out great. I think the malt bill was probably close but I didn't use enough hops. It was a while ago before I understood how much hops a good IPA really needs. I rarely brew IPAs of any sort now because I am too cheap.

I think blackprinz, midnight wheat, or dehusked carafa would be the way to go for more color and less roast.

Wookey Jack, which is one of the few that I have had and really liked, uses the following ingredients according to their website:
malts
 Pale Malt, Malted Rye, Dash of Cara-Rye, Midnight Wheat from Briess, De-Bittered Black Malt (Weyermann - Germany/Patagonia malting - Chile), Dash of Wookey dust
hops
 German Magnum (bittering), Citra & Amarillo (flavor/aroma and double dry-hopped)

I am shooting over to a brewery after work that got gold at 2014 GABF in American-Style Black Ale for their Black IPA. I will try to remember to ask them out of curiosity.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:18:22 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 12:07:59 pm »
I have only brewed one once and it didn't turn out great. I think the malt bill was probably close but I didn't use enough hops. It was a while ago before I understood how much hops a good IPA really needs. I rarely brew IPAs of any sort now because I am too cheap.

I think blackprinz, midnight wheat, or dehusked carafa would be the way to go for more color and less roast.

Wookey Jack, which is one of the few that I have had and really liked, uses the following ingredients according to their website:
malts
 Pale Malt, Malted Rye, Dash of Cara-Rye, Midnight Wheat from Briess, De-Bittered Black Malt (Weyermann - Germany/Patagonia malting - Chile), Dash of Wookey dust
hops
 German Magnum (bittering), Citra & Amarillo (flavor/aroma and double dry-hopped)

I am shooting over to a brewery after work that got gold at 2014 GABF in American-Style Black Ale for their Black IPA. I will try to remember to ask them out of curiosity.

jusyt had Great Lakes Bridge War Black IPA...awesome. id love to try and replicate that.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 01:35:10 pm »
Are we talking about black IPAs here?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 01:53:49 pm »
Are we talking about black IPAs here?

Sshhh.  Don't say Black IPA!  There are certain word-oriented OCD types that cannot reconcile Pale with Black.

Just kidding of course.  Yes that is the context.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 02:05:06 pm »
I converted my house IPA by adding some de-bittered black and a bit of midnight wheat and its a favorite around here. The wheat lends a bit of body to the mouth feel and there is no conflict with the west coast hops, its really quite tasty!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 02:17:27 pm »
I love a good Black IPA (go figure).  The best ones to me are very slightly roasty, fairly dry and drinkable, and have a nice big hop flavor and plenty of dry hop aroma.  Hoppier, lighter bodied and less roasty than American stout, but enough roast to not be just 'dyed black IPA'.  Haven't brewed one in awhile, need to fix that.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 02:33:49 pm »
Whats your thoughts on CDAs?  I have only made 1 back in 2010 and have vague memories of it and havent had one since. Thinking of using blackprinz malt being it has a low roast character and making it more towards a pale ale ABV. Even contemplated a cascadian dark lager like maybe a swartz but americanized but dont want to ruin a good thing:) of course i would use NW hops like Columbus, cascade, cent, chinooks. Do ya think roast and NW hops clash?
I think your on the right track in being careful about the roast character. I think the only thing that would clash with the hops is too much bitterness from the roast. I would avoid the standard black barley malts.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 02:55:21 pm »
I think your on the right track in being careful about the roast character. I think the only thing that would clash with the hops is too much bitterness from the roast. I would avoid the standard black barley malts.
+1 - Use something like Midnight Wheat or Carafa Special for most of your color, then splash in just enough Chocolate malt to hit the roast level you're looking for.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 03:40:34 pm »
On Wednesday I brewed an imperial IPA to serve at Mashfest* Feb. 22, 2015 that I might blacken. I'm going to see how it tastes once fermentation is done and I've dry hopped. I've got some midnight wheat malt to make my own darkening extract. Last year I did some experimenting with different grains and techniques for "Schwartzing" pale color beers and think midnight wheat is really good for color and little roast.

* a home brew Beerfest put on by Bader Brewing in Vancouver, WA that supports local charities.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 04:50:56 pm »
+2 for Midnight Wheat for color - it's the very minimum of roast with nice deep color. I use it for color in Black IPA and 2-3 oz chocolate for a little roast - love it.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 04:55:37 pm »
I prefer the term robust porter.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 05:33:43 pm »
I prefer the term "schaeudenfreude". Nothing to do with this thread, but I really, really like that word. Leave it to the Germans!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 06:04:01 pm »
I prefer the term "schaeudenfreude". Nothing to do with this thread, but I really, really like that word. Leave it to the Germans!
Love it! Pretty much describes my old boss, who by the way was recently demoted and I had to spend a week training him on how to do the job.... but thats way way off topic.