Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1 gallon batches - Too much Trub  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Vogt52

• 1st Kit
1 gallon batches - Too much Trub
« on: January 09, 2015, 10:00:12 am »
When I brew one gallon batches I've noticed that the smaller diameter carboy causes a large layer of trub, limiting the amount of usable beer. How have you all dealt with this. I brew all grain FYI.

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
Re: 1 gallon batches - Too much Trub
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:44:16 am »
I had the same issue. I started brewing 1.5 gallon batches and primary fermenting in a 2 gal bucket (I think I got it on Northern Brewer). If you feel compelled to rack, you will have enough wort to fill a 1 gallon jug.
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline Vogt52

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 01:31:58 pm »
I asked the same question on beeradvocate as well and somebody responded with a great idea. Begin cooling in your kettle and then transfer to a bucket until at fermentation temps. The will cut down on trub transferred to the carboy

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 01:48:37 pm »
I brew a lot of one gallon batches but I haven't found the magic trick to deal with this issue. BIAB makes it much worse because you're not able to use the grain bed as a filter, if that is how you are mashing. Even using a traditional mash set up I don't think you get as good of filtering as you would on a larger batch just because there is less grain to compact into a filter.

One thing I am playing with is calculating the recipe to be a ~1.25 gallon batch with the intention of leaving that extra quarter gallon behind in the kettle where the wort has the most trub. I am still trying to figure out how much volume to calculate in the recipe and how much actually needs to be left behind.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 07:00:48 am »
I don't brew small batches - mine are all 5 gallon. I line my pail fermenter (which I chill in, too) with a paint strainer bag to filter out my trub. I works great - very little trub in the fermenter. I can't think of any reason why this technique wouldn't work with smaller batches, too, though if you ferment in a carboy you may need an intermediate step.

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 04:41:41 pm »
I don't brew small batches - mine are all 5 gallon. I line my pail fermenter (which I chill in, too) with a paint strainer bag to filter out my trub. I works great - very little trub in the fermenter. I can't think of any reason why this technique wouldn't work with smaller batches, too, though if you ferment in a carboy you may need an intermediate step.

+1 here. And using whirl flock in the boil will help clear the wort going into the carboy. Use the bag to catch/filter the cold break and kettle trub
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 06:44:10 pm »

+1 here. And using whirl flock in the boil will help clear the wort going into the carboy. Use the bag to catch/filter the cold break and kettle trub
At small scales I prefer to skip the Whirlfloc. You end up with a much fluffier trub and will usually net one or two less beers. For a 1-gallon batch that's a considerable percentage of your yield.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer