Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Immersion Chiller Solder  (Read 3200 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Immersion Chiller Solder
« on: January 09, 2015, 11:44:33 am »
Just received my shiny new immersion chiller and I'm wondering if this is normal for all IC's. There is a ton of solder on the chiller, seen this on other chillers? The website mentions "silver based lead free solder used", but I'm just getting the groups opinion. Pictures below...

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:46:17 am by flbrewer »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Immersion Chiller Solder
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 11:48:49 am »
It is fine. Not the cleanest of jobs, but soldering two tubes together like that is very hard due to the lack of contact.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 12:41:23 pm »
Did you buy it new? From whom?

Its not okay from a consumer standpoint. You paid for a cleanly-made IC and received a hack job. I'm assuming the website didn't show an IC with solder everywhere, and if that's the case, ask for a replacement.

From an operational stand point, lots of solder is tough to clean. I made my own hack job lautering manifold for my first mash cooler. Lots of solder - lots of scrubbing.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 12:54:20 pm »
I have not had good luck with equipment this past week! It's from Jaded Brewing...I think another person is getting the same IC on the forum here.

I'm going to send 'er back, at this point, Fedex and UPS know me by name.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 12:57:39 pm »
I disagree that it is a hack job. Until you have tried to join two tube crossing like that, you have no idea. They could have made it cleaner by wrapping in copper wire and sealing the wire or slightly flattening the tube where the join.

I wouldn't think anything of it if were me, but I also never really clean my chiller. A quick dip in bucket followed by a rinse with the hose sprayer.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:21:19 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 01:18:27 pm »
+1 to what Steve said. I dip mine is a kettle with Oxyclean filled with first runnings off the chiller, rinse the chunks off, and done.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 01:48:24 pm »
When I first started brewing I had one of these.  It was not a cleaning nightmare.  I actually got a lead testing kit to make sure what they said was true - it was (free of lead).  I don't think I'd return it if it were me.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 01:51:42 pm »
+1 to what Steve said. I dip mine is a kettle with Oxyclean filled with first runnings off the chiller, rinse the chunks off, and done.

+2
Jon H.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 02:01:40 pm »
My first thought was "wow! those joints are pretty clean for the type they are".  As others have said that type of soldering is very difficult and requires a lot of heat with good control (a real torch with oxygen not a cheapo-stick-a-rose-bud-on-the-end-of-a-propane-bottle torch).

I wouldn't send it back but that's just me.  My IC gets cleaned maybe twice a year, maybe.  I'll soak it in the the pbw blanket for 10 minutes when it starts looking bad.  For the most part I rinse it with warm water immediately after use and hang it to dry.  I've never scrubbed it off.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 03:48:22 pm »
Good points by everyone. I don't understand why they need to use solder at all? Why not just let the cooper do what it wants, if it moves a bit who cares?

I may get this one, I know there is a SS vs. copper debate raging but More Beer said it's only soldered up high closer to the vinyl tubing. In this example, I imagine the coils may dangle a bit.

http://morebeer.com/products/stainless-steel-wort-chiller-25-38-tubing.html

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 04:59:39 pm »
If you are thinking about getting a stainless steel immersion chiller, check out the "silver serpent" over at Northern Brewer.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 05:33:08 pm »
My first thought was "wow! those joints are pretty clean for the type they are".  As others have said that type of soldering is very difficult and requires a lot of heat with good control (a real torch with oxygen not a cheapo-stick-a-rose-bud-on-the-end-of-a-propane-bottle torch).

I wouldn't send it back but that's just me.  My IC gets cleaned maybe twice a year, maybe.  I'll soak it in the the pbw blanket for 10 minutes when it starts looking bad.  For the most part I rinse it with warm water immediately after use and hang it to dry.  I've never scrubbed it off.

Paul
If you really want a good shine on your IC, soak it in Starsan for 20 minutes after rinsing off the pbw.   Looks like new. 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 11:06:03 am »

If you are thinking about getting a stainless steel immersion chiller, check out the "silver serpent" over at Northern Brewer.
I just watched their youtube video for it the other day. Looks pretty nice.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 01:32:16 pm »
Copper has better heat conductivity and is good for prefermentation beer. Why go stainless? Is it cheaper?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 01:41:05 pm »
Copper has better heat conductivity and is good for prefermentation beer. Why go stainless? Is it cheaper?

Copper is good to drive off sulfur,too.
Jon H.