Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black IPA recipe (please critique)  (Read 2428 times)

Offline nolinenowait

• Cellarman
Black IPA recipe (please critique)
« on: January 09, 2015, 05:59:55 pm »
Would you make any changes to this recipe?

11lbs pale malt
.6lb 60L Crystal
.6lb Carafa III Special

1 oz chinook first wort
.5 oz simcoe 20 min
.5 oz amarillo 20 min
.5 oz simcoe flame out
.5 oz amarillo flame out

1 oz simcoe dry hop (7 days)
1 oz amarillo dry hop (7 days)

Additions:
French oaks cubes soaked in rum added to primary for 7 days. 
Toasted Coconut added in primary for 7 days

Yeast: US-05

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Black IPA recipe (please critique)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 06:26:26 pm »
So it's a coconut/rum/oak/black IPA? Sounds a little busy to me, with some potentially clashing flavors.

If it were me, I'd either skip the hops and go coconut porter, or maybe skip the "black", and change the hops to really tropical/fruity varieties (Citra, Galaxy, Calypso, Meridian, etc) to go with the coconut & rum theme. Serve it in a tiki glass with an umbrella.

Actually, a rum barrel, coconut IPA sounds like something I might have to try out a test batch of. Maybe with a little hibiscus, too. Sort of a Scorpion Bowl IPA.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 06:36:42 pm »
Yeah, that's good advice - too busy as is. I say either :

1/  Coconut 'rum barrel' porter with only the oz of fwh chinook and a .5 oz 20 min addition

2/ Black IPA with no coconut or rum soaked cubes.

EDIT  -  Though Mitch Steele did do a pro/am last year with two homebrewers - for their 'Coconut IPA'.

http://www.stonebrewing.com/collab/rr/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:59:55 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline nolinenowait

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 06:37:52 pm »
Thanks I'm definitely going to give this a try.  I'm not scarred about taking a risk with flavors here.  I'll keep the board updated. I think I may change my direction with this. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:01:16 pm by nolinenowait »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 08:35:35 pm »
It also seems to me to be light in the hop category for an IPA.  If it were mine I would bump all three additions 60 minute, late additions and dry hopping - by at least twice the amounts listed.  This looks like a Black Pale Ale to me but maybe that is what you are going for.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 08:41:59 pm »
It also seems to me to be light in the hop category for an IPA.  If it were mine I would bump all three additions 60 minute, late additions and dry hopping - by at least twice the amounts listed.  This looks like a Black Pale Ale to me but maybe that is what you are going for.

Yeah, so much going on there I didn't notice the hop amounts. You're right, that is more of an APA schedule. Double the amounts minimum.
Jon H.

Offline edvinjonsson

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 12:05:19 am »
Thanks I'm definitely going to give this a try.  I'm not scarred about taking a risk with flavors here.  I'll keep the board updated. I think I may change my direction with this. Thanks.

I think I'd go with a more tropical/fruity hop bill as erockrph suggested, even if you still want it to be black. Maybe try adding the Carafa Special at sparging to get less roasted character.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 07:57:52 am »
I agree with many of the above posts. At least double your hops and probably triple your late additions and dry hop. Sub simcoe with a more tropical hop like Citra to compliment the coconut. I like the malt bill, except I like to add 3-4 oz of chocolate to my black IPAs to give it a hint of roast flavor. I like the idea. Being experimental is what makes this fun for me.
Frank

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 01:55:54 pm »
Black pale ale seems really similar to robus porter.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 10:41:12 pm »
Only if it's an imperial session black pale ale.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 03:37:43 am »
A black APA would be almost dead on a robust porter.  I do think there is a place though for the black IPA, with potential higher alcohol and bitterness than a robust porter. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 07:05:19 am »
Me too but I think thats a Russian Imperial Stout.

I actually don't have any problems with what anyone calls their beer, I'm just just funnin