Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What kind of hops  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Bbrewer07

• 1st Kit
What kind of hops
« on: November 12, 2014, 06:14:57 am »
I'm looking to make a session pale ale  I want a bittering hop that has piney notes  and a flavoring/aroma hop with mild citrus/lemon to it.  I was thinking Chinook and palisade respectively.  Just wanting some feedback.  Thanks for the input.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: What kind of hops
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 06:24:33 am »
Hmm... how about Columbus or Centennial?
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 06:28:20 am »
Chinook is a good bittering hop but most of its piney character would be boiled off after 60 minutes.  And Palisade are not especially citrusy - I would use something like Ahtanum which has a nice citrus zest character along with a small amount of Chinook (to give you some pine character) as finishing hops. And Centennial or Amarillo are always great as  citrusy finishing hops as well.
Jon H.

Offline mikepires17

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 10:23:04 pm »
how about cascade and/or mosaic hops? cascade will give you the classic pale ale citrus flavor and the mosaic will give you a piney aroma (like simcoe) and citrus notes you're looking for.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:48:57 pm »
Sterling used late at about 1/2 oz per gallon with a similar amount as a dry hop can give a nice mild lemonade quality.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 10:55:08 pm »
Drinking my pale that showcases palisades right now. I get mostly stone fruit and berry from it. Similar to mosaic but much more mild. Love this hop but not it might not give you what you are looking for.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:57:35 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 08:42:37 am »
Chinook for pine will work. This is going to be tough to wrap your arms around because neither of these hops are mild in the least bit, but I do a golden ale and just did an APA with them for a smooth tropical/lemony/citrus flavor when used in equal parts together..., Citra and Galaxy. These hops both can be iverpowerimg, but when used together, they smooth each other out with a great blended flavor. They are still powerful though...if you had thought about palisades (I get stone fruit/earthiness from) or even cascades, use about 50% Citra and Galaxy of what you would with them.
Frank

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 09:13:38 am »
I'd go CTZ bittering, cascade or centennial as flavor and simcoe, cascade and a little Sorachi Ace at flame out/dry hop. The Scorachi Ace has a nice lemon character to it, though some reports have said that the lemon has faded over the last couple years so many some more feed back would be good to clarify. When I last used it it had very nice lemon character.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 09:27:26 am »
I'd go CTZ bittering, cascade or centennial as flavor and simcoe, cascade and a little Sorachi Ace at flame out/dry hop. The Scorachi Ace has a nice lemon character to it, though some reports have said that the lemon has faded over the last couple years so many some more feed back would be good to clarify. When I last used it it had very nice lemon character.

I don't think I've used Sorachi in a year or so and it had nice lemony character then - hadn't heard that . Have you tried Lemon Drop yet ?  It's one of the new ones I did small batches with lately and I love it.  It's lemon, orange/citrus, a little Cascade, and has kind of an earthy tea thing that's unique too. It's not one of the super high AA hops either - the AA is comparable to Cascade. Just bought a lb after using it.
Jon H.