Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Here we go again with the foam question  (Read 3577 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Here we go again with the foam question
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 07:21:17 pm »
Exactly, when I had a tower it was a PITA to try and equalize, now with my Keezer its better but really took a lot of insulation on the collar and I'm still going to probably add a small fan to circulate the air
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 08:35:34 pm »
Exactly, when I had a tower it was a PITA to try and equalize, now with my Keezer its better but really took a lot of insulation on the collar and I'm still going to probably add a small fan to circulate the air
I added insulation to my collar after my kegs ran dry while I was converting to electric.  Filling 2 kegs tomorrow, should be able to test it soon.  I'm wondering now if colllar itself combined with the face board is warming the beer in the shank immediately before pouring.  Only way to fix that would be to make a large cutout in the collar to expose more of the shank to the freezer... doesn't sound like a fun fix.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 09:06:11 pm »
The temp issue makes sense. I have a little 2-tap kegerator in the house. My IPAs almost always pour foaming partly through the first fill. Other beers, not so much. Still run at the same temps as my keezer just to keep things more or less equal. I added one of the little kegerator muffin fans that have a 1" hose attached to push chilly air into the tower. It helps some, but not completely. I finally bought the perlick taps with the flow valves so I can restrict the IPAs more than the darker beers (speaking in generality).
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 09:41:13 am »
I tried this beer in 2 kegerators with cooling towers and a walk in fridge. Still more foam than beer. The real problem is not serving a beer with a larger head, it's that the beer de-carbonates when there is a big head.

The carbonation releases to give you a flat beer with a huge head of foam.

What causes that?
The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 10:37:26 am »
Hmmm, the big foamy head shouldn't be degassing the beer to the point that its then flat. Once the head dissipates do you still see bubbles rising in he beer?
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 11:41:35 pm »
Yes the beer is flat or mostly flat after the foam dissipates.  I think all the carbonation is in the head. 
The carbonation comes out of solution in the form of a big foamy head.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 11:54:56 pm »
If using ball lock: do you have the correct keg posts on?  This sounds like a problem I had a while back where I had threaded an out post to the gas in. 

Offline archstanton

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 11:16:20 am »
 I had one keg where the dip tube was almost too long. If I overtightened the fitting the tube would hit the bottom of the keg creating a thumb on the end of a garden hose situation, it would spray out. Once I loosened that fitting the problem disappeared. 

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 10:29:26 am »
Well I changed out the "line out" post and poppet and cleaned the dip tube with no change in foam.

Do you think the dip tube is to close to the bottom forcing the beer to squeeze through causing unnecessary turbulence  ?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 10:42:57 am »
I tried this beer in 2 kegerators with cooling towers and a walk in fridge. Still more foam than beer. The real problem is not serving a beer with a larger head, it's that the beer de-carbonates when there is a big head.

The carbonation releases to give you a flat beer with a huge head of foam.

What causes that?

This happens when you are pouring too fast/too much pressure.  You blow foam out of the tap and when it settles you have flat beer with a huge head.

Well I changed out the "line out" post and poppet and cleaned the dip tube with no change in foam.

Do you think the dip tube is to close to the bottom forcing the beer to squeeze through causing unnecessary turbulence  ?

On some of my kegs, the dip tube is bent to pick up beer from the middle of the keg.  When tightening the post, the dip tube will often rotate. If it winds up pinned against the side of the keg, the opening gets restricted and the pour becomes all foam.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton