Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Today's Shopping LIst  (Read 2968 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Today's Shopping LIst
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 04:15:14 pm »
Not a special trip, I will be close by. They do have big eye and I will give that a try as well. Thanks again
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 05:44:10 pm »
So, obviously the Sculpin is great, the Big Eye is also quite tasty. I also got back in time for Nugget Nectar and liked it a lot. I think I made the point earlier that I don't have the greatest palate, or a flair for words. The Perpetual IPA  came in at the bottom of the bunch, but was still tasty. I would not hesitate to order it on draft anywhere I found it in that format. After living in Cleveland and close to Cleveland for 41 of my 45 years of life and within 10 minutes of downtown for 15 of the last 18 years, the Chill wave was easily the most pleasant surprise. It really just was not what I was expecting  from an IIPA. The label mentions honey malt, and while it is definitely  different than the rest of the pack, I would not just say that's because it's sweeter, but it is. My overall impression is "different" but a great different. It has plenty of hoppy goodness, but enough body to not just be a hop bomb which is what I usually find in IIPA. The other pleasant surprise is that after being in or around Cleveland for so long, I have obviously just taken them for granted. I loved this beer and. And can only hope I can find more this year before it's all gone. Overall,  if anyone were to ask me about these beers, I would have nothing bad to say about any of them. The good news is that with such a variety, I have plenty of each left to continue comparing
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:45:59 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 09:38:42 pm »
So, obviously the Sculpin is great, the Big Eye is also quite tasty. I also got back in time for Nugget Nectar and liked it a lot. I think I made the point earlier that I don't have the greatest palate, or a flair for words. The Perpetual IPA  came in at the bottom of the bunch, but was still tasty. I would not hesitate to order it on draft anywhere I found it in that format. After living in Cleveland and close to Cleveland for 41 of my 45 years of life and within 10 minutes of downtown for 15 of the last 18 years, the Chill wave was easily the most pleasant surprise. It really just was not what I was expecting  from an IIPA. The label mentions honey malt, and while it is definitely  different than the rest of the pack, I would not just say that's because it's sweeter, but it is. My overall impression is "different" but a great different. It has plenty of hoppy goodness, but enough body to not just be a hop bomb which is what I usually find in IIPA. The other pleasant surprise is that after being in or around Cleveland for so long, I have obviously just taken them for granted. I loved this beer and. And can only hope I can find more this year before it's all gone. Overall,  if anyone were to ask me about these beers, I would have nothing bad to say about any of them. The good news is that with such a variety, I have plenty of each left to continue comparing

Nice feedback. Perpetual is a unique IPA in the fact that it is hopped with Mt Hood. It has a spicy hop character. The flavor of that beer changes a lot as the temp changes. I'll need to get some Chillwave this year and give it another shot.
Frank

Offline 69franx

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 09:55:31 pm »
That brings up a great point. The second Chill wave I had and shared started at around 50 (basement temp) compared to the refrigerated one I had to myself. Everything I tasted in the chilled version was actually and unexpectedly muted 8n the warmer version. It seems to truly be an American  IPA, best served chilled. Not to say I did not like it warmer, it just was not as noticeable or different at those temps. I still liked it, but would hesitate to recommend  it at cellar temps. I am accustomed to brews being the other way around: one dimensional cold and really opening up as it warms. As I daid, I still liked it, just did not get the same impressions of the brew at warmer temps
Frank L.