Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boilermaker Valve  (Read 3009 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Boilermaker Valve
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:32:17 am »
The instructions on my new Blichmann G2 Boilermaker are pretty explicit when it comes to tightening the valve. Think I can get away with hand tightening this?

"When hand tight, use a wrench on the flats of the valve and a socket and torque wrench on the bulkhead fitting to tighten to 40 ft-lb"  :o

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Boilermaker Valve
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 10:49:00 am »
Give it a test run with water, both cold and hot. The bulkhead on my newer cooler was fine with cold water, but leaked when hot water was added. I had to drain the water and tighten it before mashing in.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 12:56:37 pm »
Did you tighten w a torque wrench?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 01:00:37 pm »
To aproximae 40 ftlbs. Just tighten until there's blood in your stool and you'll be close.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 01:53:36 pm »
My old boss used to say, "tighten it until it breaks and then back off a half a turn."
40 ft# is fairly tight, but not quite as tight as Jim suggests.  A car's lug nuts are usually about 85 ft# and spark plugs are about 15 if that helps.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 01:59:12 pm »
Oh are they finally including torque specs?  If you don't have the torque wrench, wrap the threads with teflon tape, tighten to "really snug" and fill with water to ensure it doesn't leak.  Keep your wrench handy, you can always tighten while brewing.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 02:02:23 pm »
To aproximae 40 ftlbs. Just tighten until there's blood in your stool and you'll be close.

That's pretty damn funny.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 02:08:08 pm »

Oh are they finally including torque specs?  If you don't have the torque wrench, wrap the threads with teflon tape, tighten to "really snug" and fill with water to ensure it doesn't leak.  Keep your wrench handy, you can always tighten while brewing.
I thought you didn't want to use Teflon in conjunction with O-rings.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 02:12:09 pm »

I thought you didn't want to use Teflon in conjunction with O-rings.
You may be right, without looking at it I'm not sure what piece you are tightening.  If it is actually the valve body with the o-ring seal that goes into the kettle, stay away from the tape.  If it is the adapter piece that threads to the valve (usually a barb or quick disconnect), use tape. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 04:15:59 pm »
Definitely no teflon there.  You'll want to make  that connection tight.  Hold that valve to ensure proper orientation and use a socket on the inside.  You'll like this kettle.  I have a couple of the older Boilermakers and they are quite nice.  Good choice. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 04:21:52 pm »
Definitely no teflon there.  You'll want to make  that connection tight.  Hold that valve to ensure proper orientation and use a socket on the inside.  You'll like this kettle.  I have a couple of the older Boilermakers and they are quite nice.  Good choice.

OK, well it's put together when it ships. I want to clean it first, so I'll be putting it back together and test w. water (hot and cold) like others have said. As my HLT, I'm not AS concerned as I would be if it were my boil kettle.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 09:32:57 pm »
Know how to tell you're gettin' old?
When it hurts just to read this.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 04:08:22 pm »
Does anyone know the size of the nut inside this kettle? I don't have anything close to that size in a standard socket/wrench set.

Also, the only torque wrench available at Lowe's today was the size of a baseball bat.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 07:04:42 am »

Also, the only torque wrench available at Lowe's today was the size of a baseball bat.

Check with your local Harbor Freight store; they'll have some for a good price. May not be the highest quality, but fine for occasional use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=torque+wrench