Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quality  (Read 1164 times)

Offline LittleBigDreams14

• 1st Kit
Quality
« on: January 10, 2015, 12:04:39 pm »
Hey what's up fellas! So I been trying new recipes lately with my 1 gallon kit (thank god) and I have been encountering some issues with it. So my last batch was a what I call " Autumn Beer " the color was spot on and the smell was exactly what I wanted. As far as the taste not so much. The front end was good but the back end was a slight bit of vinegar. To my knowledge the could mean an bacteria infection am I right ? and how would I go about not having that happen again?

Thanks,

L.B.D
Little Big Dreams Brew Co.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Quality
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 12:12:00 pm »
Recipe, process, yeast type and how you handled it, fermentation process, packaging process. These things will help us diagnose.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:45:46 pm »
Vinegar is a sign of acedic infection.  Insufficient sanitation is the cause.  Fruit flies are known carriers.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 06:55:24 am »
Vinegar is a sign of acedic infection.  Insufficient sanitation is the cause.  Fruit flies are known carriers.

+1 Some info i put together for our club off flavor tasting.

Acidic/Sour

Definition: Acetic acid is a compound that causes off flavors and aromas in beer, often described as a sour or acidic taste or a vinegar character. In fact, acetic acid is the active ingredient in vinegar.

Characteristics: This is one of the five basic tastes, and is often perceived the most on the sides of the tongue, towards the rear of the mouth. The two most common acids responsible for this flavor are lactic and acetic, which both have related esters that may be perceived in the aroma. Appropriate for Witber, Lambics, Flanders Ale and Berliner wesse. Optional sourness ok in American wheat, Rye, Dry stout and saison.

Causes: Lactic acid is produced by Gram positive bacteria such as Lactobacillus and Pediococcus, which are present in dust and saliva. Acetic acid may be produced by several contaminants, including Acetobacter, Zymomonas, and yeast in the Kloeckera and Brettanomyces families. High levels of sour and acidic flavors generally indicate a sanitation problem, but they are an important part of the profile of the lambic, oud bruin and Berliner weiss styles, and to a lesser extent, Belgian white beers. The most common causes are poor sanitization; bad yeast strain; too much corn sugar; excessive amounts of citric or ascorbic acid; high fermentation temperatures; excessive acid rest; mashing too long; use of wooden spoon in cooled wort or fermentation; storage at warm temperatures; scratched plastic bucket/furminator.

Management: Good Sanitization Use Glass or stainless steel equipment and spoons. Cool fermentation temps and storage Keeping mashing times below 2 hours.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 07:05:53 am »
As the others have said, no where near enough information. Are you brewing all grain or extract? What are you doing to control fermentation temps (are you even controlling them?)

Also, as the others have said, vinegar is a sign of acetobacter infection but it is usually only present after an extended aging process where an airlock has gone dry, mostly because it is an aerobic bacteria and doesn't grow as well under a blanket of Co2. It's hard to really pin point off flavors over the internet, without tasting and smelling the beer it is impossible for us to know if what you are experiencing is really vinegar or not. I encounter a lot of new brewers and beer drinkers with untrained pallets who say they think a flavor is this or that until you taste it with them and then it is something completely different, they just didn't have the experience to explain it properly. Not saying you aren't smelling vinegar - just saying it may be something else entirely.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 08:10:28 am »
If I had to take a wild guess based on the info provided, acid like tartness only in the finish + a reference to color and "autumn beer", my guess is a combo of too low pH and roast bits that have not dropped out yet.