Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1x2 weeks or 2x1 week??  (Read 1467 times)

Offline SeanFawcett

• 1st Kit
1x2 weeks or 2x1 week??
« on: January 10, 2015, 03:08:25 pm »
What's the advantage of doing two one week fermentations vs. fermenting for two weeks in one carboy?

I've tried both and I think I lose more beer by siphoning to a second carboy after a week.  Also, wouldn't the sediment settle better if simply left in one carboy for two weeks?

(I'm brewing IPA's)

Thanks

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: 1x2 weeks or 2x1 week??
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 03:23:13 pm »
Are you talking about primary fermentation vs. transferring to a secondary carboy?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 03:50:28 pm »
Unless you're making a fruit beer or are aging a very strong beer for long periods, there is no benefit to using a secondary fermenter - and actually there is potential for harm, namely that you transfer (rack) the beer before it's done fermenting. This removes the beer from much of the yeast that's needed to finish the job, in turn leading to off flavors and aromas and underattenuated beer. Leave the beer in the primary until you verify that it's done -   2 -3 identical hydrometer readings 2 or 3 days apart each  -   and then package. Good luck.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 03:51:58 pm »
^ yep

Offline SeanFawcett

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 04:01:38 pm »
Unless you're making a fruit beer or are aging a very strong beer for long periods, there is no benefit to using a secondary fermenter - and actually there is potential for harm, namely that you transfer (rack) the beer before it's done fermenting. This removes the beer from much of the yeast that's needed to finish the job, in turn leading to off flavors and aromas and underattenuated beer. Leave the beer in the primary until you verify that it's done -   2 -3 identical hydrometer readings 2 or 3 days apart each  -   and then package. Good luck.
Great!  Thanks for your advice.!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 06:57:52 am »
This reply should be emailed with the confirmation every time someone registers for the forum.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:03:13 am »

This reply should be emailed with the confirmation every time someone registers for the forum.
Along with how to handle a clogged airlock.