Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: newbie question - does yeast floating on top ever settle out?  (Read 7406 times)

Offline bissdp

• 1st Kit
I have an american ale that is on it's 3rd week in the primary and there seems to be tiny islands of yeast floating on the top. The airlock activity stopped a while ago (read week or two) and I've checked the SG and it has been constant for a couple of days.  I am gonna bottle it this weekend, but I am curious if these floating islands are normal.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: newbie question - does yeast floating on top ever settle out?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:36:25 am »
Doesn't sound abnormal.  Try to gently swirl your fermenter and see if they drop.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bissdp

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:30:14 am »
I stirred a little and some settled out, but I decided to go ahead and bottle it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:21:47 pm »
Sounds about right. The "stuff" floating on top dropping is just one of the visual clues the yeast is done. However, sometimes with   certain yeast the junk floating on top never drops out. Had that experience with Belgian yeast before.

The best indicator is a gravity check.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:27:36 pm »
Good suggestions by everyone.

I also wouldn't worry about it much. Once you rack most of that get's left behind as well. It will fall and stick to the other yeast when you rack your beer over to bottle or to a secondary.

Good luck!