Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hotchy Scotchy  (Read 1397 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Hotchy Scotchy
« on: January 11, 2015, 07:28:30 am »
I've seen references to this here and assumed it to be any old warm scotch drink but now that I know what it is I'm intrigued but can't find a definitive recipe. How much first running to Scotch are people using. I have laphroig.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:30:02 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hotchy Scotchy
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 07:38:24 am »
I've seen references to this here and assumed it to be any old warm scotch drink but now that I know what it is I'm intrigued but can't find a definitive recipe. How much first running to Scotch are people using. I have laphroig.

Take 3 or 4 oz of first runnings and add an oz of scotch. You can add more if you think it needs it. I don't drink when I brew very often anymore, but it's tasty.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 07:39:44 am »
I just ran the clear first running out of the grant (after vorlauf) into a coffee cup and aded a shot of whiskey. In my case I used Irish Whiskey. It was nice. Not something I'd want to drink a lot of very often though.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 08:45:01 am »

Take 3 or 4 oz of first runnings and add an oz of scotch. You can add more if you think it needs it. I don't drink when I brew very often anymore, but it's tasty.
I'm actually going to put the runnings in a jar in the fridge and reheat and make them after I'm done brewing.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 08:56:48 am »

I'm actually going to put the runnings in a jar in the fridge and reheat and make them after I'm done brewing.

Good call.  When I do make one (occasionally), it's because the first runnings just smell so damn good it's hard to resist. I think I used ~ an oz of Balvenie last time. The best ones, not surprisingly, are from the big beer runnings - barleywine, wee heavy, etc.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 09:03:15 am »

Good call.  When I do make one (occasionally), it's because the first runnings just smell so damn good it's hard to resist. I think I used ~ an oz of Balvenie last time. The best ones, not surprisingly, are from the big beer runnings - barleywine, wee heavy, etc.
Yea, I'm pissed I didn't know about this a few months ago when I was brewing my heavy winter beers. At least last night I had my wee heavy, split a small dark belgian with my girlfriend, and had a laphroig as a nightcap.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 09:36:44 am »
Maybe those who detect smoke in 1728 are spilling their Islay into their wort .