Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Apricot Ale - is this normal?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline rgonzalez_me

• Cellarman
  • Nothing Special - Manassas, VA
Apricot Ale - is this normal?
« on: January 11, 2015, 11:37:14 am »
I just made a Magic Hat #9 clone (I know love/hate...anyway) after 2 weeks primary I took a sample and the base ale was beautiful then I racked into secondary and added the Vinters Apricot Purée (1 can as per the recipe) and let it ride for 2 weeks. Today I kegged and took a sample and I found this:

FG right on the money.
Color was perfect.
Taste was a little on the sour side..... What happened?

I am cold crashing at 35F for the next two weeks. Will the decantation that comes with cold crashing fix this? I am asking this because the sample that I took was a little turbid because of the transfer.

What should I do or expect?
“Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer”  -Henry Lawson

Keg #1: DD Pilsner
Keg #2: Sauvin-Mango-Hibiscus Ale
Primary: Saison
Primary: Paters Bier - Saison du Vin
Bottled: Chocolate-mocha peanut butter stout

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Apricot Ale - is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 02:02:45 pm »
It's possible there could be some contamination causing the sourness, but if it looks turbid, there's likely a lot of yeast in suspension which can give a harsh bitter/sour flavor until it drops more clear. Also, using fruit tends to make beers drier and tart - it seems like you'd get fruity sweetness but the actual sugar ferments away. I say give it a week or two at those cold temps and sample. Once the beer is clearer you'll have a real idea what you have. Let us know.
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 02:12:15 pm »
It's possible there could be some contamination causing the sourness, but if it looks turbid, there's likely a lot of yeast in suspension which can give a harsh bitter/sour flavor until it drops more clear. Also, using fruit tends to make beers drier and tart - it seems like you'd get fruity sweetness but the actual sugar ferments away. I say give it a week or two at those cold temps and sample. Once the beer is clearer you'll have a real idea what you have. Let us know.

+1

My brewing intuition tells me that it will improve with time. A similar thing happened to me with a raspberry ale, and a couple of weeks did wonders.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline rgonzalez_me

• Cellarman
  • Nothing Special - Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 04:52:31 pm »
Thanks for the responses. That is kind of what I thought. It will be 2 weeks at 35f and I will give it another taste.

Btw I used a bucket as secondary, the Vinters Purée stained the hell out of it. Next time I will use a bigger bucket and use real fruit.
“Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer”  -Henry Lawson

Keg #1: DD Pilsner
Keg #2: Sauvin-Mango-Hibiscus Ale
Primary: Saison
Primary: Paters Bier - Saison du Vin
Bottled: Chocolate-mocha peanut butter stout