Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing Wort  (Read 1493 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Storing Wort
« on: January 11, 2015, 11:07:43 am »
If I decided for whatever reason to not do a full brewing day and just get to the pre-boil stage, how long could I store wort before it would be affected in any way?

Would it require any special storage or temp?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Storing Wort
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:53:31 am »
If your sanitation is solid, I'd be comfortable with overnight at the temp you plan to pitch at, in the fermentor with an airlock should be plenty good.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 12:18:26 pm »
I think he is talking pre-boil.

I see two possible issues. Without a mashout, the enzymes will continue to simplify the sugars. Secondly, the wort may go a little sour if left overnight. I don't think it would be much, maybe not eve noticeable.

Food grade buckets with a max temp over 170° would possible work.

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 07:45:39 am »
yeah it sounds like pre-boil here. I might not risk it due to the lacto from the grains, depending on the temp it could start to sour.

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 08:02:13 pm »
If you have the wort in the boil kettle with the lid on, and raise the temp to 170 - 180 range and then flame out, you'll effectively denature enough enzymes to stop conversion, and pasteurize the wort as well. You'll be fine overnight; I do this for probably half my batches. And given that I live in Michigan, in two days it'll be a block of wort-ice and that is pretty effective against microbes as well.

Seriously, I've even gone two days after pasteurizing before I could boil in early Fall season, and I noticed no ill effects.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must be on my way, for I see that the 1469 has blown off another airlock.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:12:05 pm by seajellie »