Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long is a FWH?  (Read 5292 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: How long is a FWH?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 05:06:03 pm »
The only positive I found with mash hopping was the lovely aromas during mashing. It all disappeared in the boil and ferment. Still the garage was heavenly...

;D yep
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline mblanks2

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 03:28:13 am »
As far as the IBU contribution differences in FWH and 60 minute additions I can't say what the real numbers are. I can say that my perception of the bitterness of the two is that FWH is a smoother bitterness.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 12:51:43 pm »
As far as the IBU contribution differences in FWH and 60 minute additions I can't say what the real numbers are. I can say that my perception of the bitterness of the two is that FWH is a smoother bitterness.

I can say becasue I've had beers analyzed in a lab.  FWH came out to about 10% more measured IBU, but in general didn't taste like it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 01:01:45 pm »

I can say becasue I've had beers analyzed in a lab.  FWH came out to about 10% more measured IBU, but in general didn't taste like it.

My club did a blind tasting of a variety of different hopping schedules/methods. I was surprised actually because blind, I rated the FWH beer as slightly more bitter and slightly harsher than the normal 60 minute addition. I would agree with the 10% more bitter figure your lab analysis found.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2015, 05:38:10 pm »
My impression from FWH a couple hundred batches is that as long as the hops are in there for 15 min., there isn't a lot of change after that.  I feel like any flavor or bitterness you get from them kind if plateaus at that point.  No scientific data, just my impression.

Gotchya.  Thanks Denny.  15min. minimum w/ little change after that.

Anyone w/ a different point of view?

+1. We FWH a lot of our pale ale ales and IPAs usually adding the hops when the kettle is about 1/2 full. It's about another 15-20 min from there til the kettle is full. We kick the heat on when about 3/4 full.  Galena tends to give us a fairly powerful lingering bitterness.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com