Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: keggle  (Read 2649 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
keggle
« on: January 11, 2015, 03:36:14 pm »
I brew via biab and battle heat loss when mashing with my alum kettle. I am wondering am i better off going to a keg conversion or just build a mash tun? Would stainless hold the heat better?
Jimmykx250

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: keggle
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 03:40:53 pm »
The easiest, cheapest way which really holds temperature is a cooler mash tun.  Check here: http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 03:56:28 pm »
I brew via biab and battle heat loss when mashing with my alum kettle. I am wondering am i better off going to a keg conversion or just build a mash tun? Would stainless hold the heat better?

Stainless won't give you a noticeable difference.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 04:13:53 pm »
So if i go to a cooler I can still use a bag to hold the grains just use the cooler to hold temp and the liquid. With
BIAB i dont sparge and i like the beer i produce. Am i missing out on something with the whole sparge process?
Thanks
Jimmykx250

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 04:23:38 pm »
So if i go to a cooler I can still use a bag to hold the grains just use the cooler to hold temp and the liquid. With
BIAB i dont sparge and i like the beer i produce. Am i missing out on something with the whole sparge process?
Thanks
You could get one with a false bottom, ditch the bag, do everything else the same.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 04:28:21 pm »
...or a hose braid

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 04:49:08 pm »
Even better

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 05:23:10 pm »
Got an old sleeping bag? Put it around the Aluminum Kettle while you mash.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 05:31:01 pm »
Got an old sleeping bag? Put it around the Aluminum Kettle while you mash.

Yep, I still put a sleeping bag around my cooler even.
Jon H.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 06:54:20 am »
I have tried wrapping the Alum pot with a blanket during mash but still seem to fight temp loss big time. I really like the simplicity of the BIAB way but it seems that if i get a cooler I may as well jump in the three vessel way.
Jimmykx250

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 07:34:28 am »
How much heat are you loosing? Since you have more water than needed for mashing, you could hold some water back and add it as boiling water to maintain temperature. Heat the water up in a electric pot or a kitchen pan.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 07:37:46 am »
How much heat are you loosing? Since you have more water than needed for mashing, you could hold some water back and add it as boiling water to maintain temperature. Heat the water up in a electric pot or a kitchen pan.
It drops around 5 to 8 degrees then i hit the burner usually around 4 times during the one hour mash
Jimmykx250

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 10:12:37 am »
Thanks

You're missing out on some efficiency by not sparging.  But if you don't want to sparge, you can build a cooler mash tun and still do no sparge.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 01:13:46 pm »
What's your batch size? If its 5 gallons or more I would just go with batch sparging in a cooler. I do <5 gallons biab (usually 2.5 gal) and anything 5 gallons+ batch sparging with a converted cooler.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 04:28:09 pm »
What's your batch size? If its 5 gallons or more I would just go with batch sparging in a cooler. I do <5 gallons biab (usually 2.5 gal) and anything 5 gallons+ batch sparging with a converted cooler.
Batch size is 5 gallons but im starting to think of going to a mash tun and possibly doing larger batches. Ive been brewing via BIAB since may and have learned so much and have made some pretty decent beers as well but time isn't on my side. Brew days are pretty hard to get an am thinking 10 gal batches might make more sense. Still trying to figure it all out. I will need a new kettle and cooler and most likely a new burner. Look for another post on this forum regarding the dark star burner i bought.
Jimmykx250