Other than Brewing > The Pub

The Wheel of Time

(1/8) > >>

narcout:
Well, after four years and the passing away of Robert Jordan, the new Wheel of Time book came out a few weeks ago. Anybody reading it?

Please don't post any spoilers, I just ordered it yesterday...

denny:
After several years of off again, on again reading, I'm about halfway through book 6.  I've got a way to go before I'm ready for the last one.  Actually, I heard the "last" book is actually gonna be 2 or 3 books.

Robert:
Where would y'all rank this series with Lord of the Rings? I've read LOTR every year for about 10 years now. I've been looking for another series to try out.

denny:
In some ways there's a lot of the "mythology" and general story line of LOTR and a lot of other fantasy books I've read.  I'd say WOT is definitely more sprawling, with more characters and story lines to follow.  I think in general the character development is good....at least it keeps me coming back.  The story seems to be more slow moving, but there are plenty of action moments.  I found it to be a great time killer after my heart attack, when all I could do was sit on the couch and read for hours at a time.  Highly recommended flor winter reading beside the wood stove.....oh, wait, you're in TX...OK, by the air conditioner!  ;)

dimik:
I'm actually reading "The Gathering Storm" right now.
So far, so good. Much better than books 6-11, which were just painfully dull and empty.
The writing style changed with the author, but characters and story lines remain. Oh, and he doesn't describe clothing on each person for 5 pages like Jordan did :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version