Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: golden promise for lager?  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
golden promise for lager?
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:16:27 am »
I've read that golden promise malt can be used in lagers with good results. Anyone out there try it?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: golden promise for lager?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 10:24:44 am »
I would try the Simpsons GP for a light lager as it is about 2L. For a darker lager Thomas Fawcett GP might work, it is around 3.5L.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 10:30:54 am »
I would try the Simpsons GP for a light lager as it is about 2L. For a darker lager Thomas Fawcett GP might work, it is around 3.5L.
I'm not sure which maltster my LHBS carries.
I was mainly thinking about using G P to avoid the really long boil needed for some pilsner malts.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 10:33:40 am »
Golden promise will make a nice lager but also, IME if you do a good, vigorous 60 minute boil with pilsner and practice good pitch and fermentation you should have no DMS issue either
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 03:37:19 pm »
Golden promise will make a nice lager but also, IME if you do a good, vigorous 60 minute boil with pilsner and practice good pitch and fermentation you should have no DMS issue either
I agree, but I switched to 45 minute boils for my ales years ago to save time and if G P will make a good lager and save me some time I'll give it a go.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 05:34:33 pm »
I agree, but I switched to 45 minute boils for my ales years ago to save time and if G P will make a good lager and save me some time I'll give it a go.
Just make sure its a vigorous boil, you may lose a bit more in evaporation but probably not as much as a 90 minute boil.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 03:45:04 pm »
Just make sure its a vigorous boil, you may lose a bit more in evaporation but probably not as much as a 90 minute boil.

Always.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women