Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 007 Dry English Ale  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: 007 Dry English Ale
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 03:32:42 pm »
It's all relative to OG as fars as speed for 007. When I have OG 1.060ish it's usually somewhere around 48hrs when I start bringing temps up as I'm already at around 1.016-.020. Starting at 1.070 or higher might be an extra 24 hours or so before you get below 1.020, but it's still going to move very quickly.

I'd give it another shot with this process and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 06:14:30 pm »
Near the end of most British and American ale yeast strain fermentations I shoot for about 72 degrees F at the very end of fermentation. If you can get it to creep up there slowly from about 64 degrees you can be pretty certain that you won't have a premature flocculation and an incomplete fermentation. You shouldn't have any problems with off flavors if you keep the first bit of fermenation in the mid sixties.

By the way, I hear some of the big pharma companies are working on a pill for premature flocculation - and you can expect to see the commercials for it during most breaks of football games.  ;)

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 07:59:34 am »
forgot to post this earlier this week.  so i dryhopped in the primary at 70df (not my current protocol, but for this ESB i went with it).  noticed some faint airlock activity about 1-2 days in to the dryhop period (1 bubble every 40 seconds or so).  checked the gravity about 2 days before I planned to keg and it was 1.013, and checked prior to kegging and it was 1.013 again, so somehow activity either kicked back up or I picked up a bug while dryhopping. 

hoping for the former - and if so, I wound up getting the high 70s attenuation i expected.

its been chilling and carbing all week - hopefully i can steal a sample out of the keg over the weekend (it won't go on tap for a few weeks) and determine if it turned out all right, which based on the hydro sample i beleive it did.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 08:08:42 am »
forgot to post this earlier this week.  so i dryhopped in the primary at 70df (not my current protocol, but for this ESB i went with it).  noticed some faint airlock activity about 1-2 days in to the dryhop period (1 bubble every 40 seconds or so).  checked the gravity about 2 days before I planned to keg and it was 1.013, and checked prior to kegging and it was 1.013 again, so somehow activity either kicked back up or I picked up a bug while dryhopping. 

hoping for the former - and if so, I wound up getting the high 70s attenuation i expected.

its been chilling and carbing all week - hopefully i can steal a sample out of the keg over the weekend (it won't go on tap for a few weeks) and determine if it turned out all right, which based on the hydro sample i beleive it did.
Bubbles just mean CO2 is coming out of the airlock. Probably the hops caused CO2 to come out of solution, given that your at terminal gravity.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 08:11:52 am »
I always heard it's a small amount of O2 pressed into the pellets that gets released when you dry hop.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 08:17:30 am »
this isn't my first rodeo.  ;)

if you look back, it appeared that prior to dryhopping, that the gravity stopped at 1.016 based on two readings. 

after dryhop it lowered to 1.013, also based on 2 readings.

could be totally unrelated to dryhop or not.  i dunno.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19:01 am »

if you look back, it appeared that prior to dryhopping, that the gravity stopped at 1.016 based on two readings. 

looks like you just squeezed out a few more points. did you just raise the temps or did you also rouse the yeast?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 08:23:18 am »

Didn't read all the way back, Paul. I thought it had been @ 1.013  for awhile.  I was pretty sure you weren't a noob.    :D
Jon H.

Offline blatz

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 08:24:59 am »

looks like you just squeezed out a few more points. did you just raise the temps or did you also rouse the yeast?

Just let it sit at the temp (70df) that I raised to at the end of fermentation - sat for 2 weeks after apparent primary activity subsided.  maybe the slow kids finally finished up while it was dryhopping.    i wasn't able to rouse (conical) - need to put together an apparatus like majorvices has to blow co2 in the cone to rouse yeast sometime.