Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Are You Genetically Programmed to Hate Hoppy Beer?  (Read 3569 times)

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: Are You Genetically Programmed to Hate Hoppy Beer?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 06:54:38 am »
For those of us around before the craft beer revolution (not that I was  ;)) think about your own taste in beer. I know I was drinking Bud and feeling superior to the Lite drinkers back in the 70s and early 80s. But if someone came along and handed me a Pliney the Elder or a Heady Topper then, I probably would have made a face and spit it right out. But that's not how it happened. First, we found Bass Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sam Adams Boston Lager. Those beers changed our tastes gradually, prepared out palates for Anchor Steam and Harpoon IPA.

Fast forward to 2015 and it's the same thing now with our BMC friends, you wouldn't give them a pint of Russian Imperial Stout and expect them to love it. You give them a kolsch or a cream ale and bring them along slowly. If they're open minded and willing, you entice them with an Irish Red or a Nut Brown ale. And you probably shouldn't ask them if they've been living under a rock for the past thirty years.  :P

Obviously, I agree with the author. If a beer drinker is adventurous, or at least has an open mind, their palates will change. But they might need 20 or 30 years of gradual change like those of us who were there at the beginning had. Maybe not that long, but, It'll take some time.

I would agree, especially the part about being adventurous and having an open mind.

Why else would anyone try something called a sour beer! Let alone enjoy them.
Ralph R.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 08:12:55 am »
I remember SNPA as the first hoppy beer I tried. Prior to that beer it was often dusty imports and Urquell was my favorite of the hoppy imports, but its freshness was spotty. But the first Sierra pale ale I tried was fresh and, though not hoppy by today's standards, the Cascade aroma jumped out of the glass and I was hooked. I'd never had a beer with what we know as American hop character before and, in the next few years, I probably bought enough Sierra and Anchor Liberty (and others) to float a ship.
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 10:15:57 am »
I don't know about three times, but this happened for me with salmon. I hated it but kept trying it when it was offered. One day I liked it and now eat it once a month. Same goes for avocado.
How could you not like salmon? Oh yeh: Steve in TX. :)
I must admit that my son-in-law fishes a lot and fresh caught salmon is probably nothing like what gets shipped to TX.
Also a lot of people don't know about a strain of salmon (can't remember the name) that stays in fresh water it's whole life and is fantastic.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 10:17:56 am »
I remember SNPA as the first hoppy beer I tried. Prior to that beer it was often dusty imports and Urquell was my favorite of the hoppy imports, but its freshness was spotty. But the first Sierra pale ale I tried was fresh and, though not hoppy by today's standards, the Cascade aroma jumped out of the glass and I was hooked. I'd never had a beer with what we know as American hop character before and, in the next few years, I probably bought enough Sierra and Anchor Liberty (and others) to float a ship.

Sam Adams was my first. And like any first love, it still holds a place in my heart. SNPA was probably the first American style hoppy beer, but it didn't appear around here until much later. Bass Ale was the beer that opened up my eyes and made me think that there was more to beer than BMC or, like you say, dusty imports.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 12:42:03 pm »

Sam Adams was my first. And like any first love, it still holds a place in my heart. SNPA was probably the first American style hoppy beer, but it didn't appear around here until much later. Bass Ale was the beer that opened up my eyes and made me think that there was more to beer than BMC or, like you say, dusty imports.

We got SN beers first, then Sam not too long after. I have a soft spot for SA too. I still like Boston Lager. Drank a ton back then. I remember being excited when I found the freshest stuff (by their freshness dating) - they were the first (or among the first) to do that, at least in beers that showed up here back then.
Jon H.

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 07:02:51 pm »
No, I just got tired of heavy hops.

And Salmon, no thanks!

But I do feel sorry for the 13% of the population that can't taste Cilantro. Poor bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 08:43:33 pm »

And Salmon, no thanks!

But I do feel sorry for the 13% of the population that can't taste Cilantro. Poor bastards.

And I'm the guy that can taste, cilantro and wish I couldn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 05:56:32 am »

And Salmon, no thanks!

I thought it had to do with how you tasted cilantro, whether it tastes really bad or good.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 06:38:30 am »

And Salmon, no thanks!

I thought it had to do with how you tasted cilantro, whether it tastes really bad or good.

A friends wife said cilantro tastes like soap to her, which I think is a bad taste.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 06:46:34 am »

And Salmon, no thanks!

A friends wife said cilantro tastes like soap to her, which I think is a bad taste.
Same here. I'm not a fan at all.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer