Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: footwear  (Read 13556 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: footwear
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 07:11:30 pm »
I actually go to a store that sells work boots and ask them to suggest something. I tell them it needs to be water proof, slip proof, and comfortable to stand on concrete for 12+ hour shift. The last pair I got were Rocky's and they were great for almost 2 years. The heal broke off today and I'll be going back tomorrow to buy a new pair.

+1 to good insoles.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 07:40:50 pm »
Call me crazy but I wear tennis shoes in the brewery. If I get wet (rarely) I have a spare set of socks and shoes on hand.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 05:07:36 am »
Call me crazy but I wear tennis shoes in the brewery. If I get wet (rarely) I have a spare set of socks and shoes on hand.

I abhor wet feet. You are crazy. Also, tennis shoes are terrible for concrete. I also got a nasty burn when, even though the clamp was off, the 1/2 cup of boiling liquid in the line spat out through my tennis shoe.

As a rule, we don't allow tennis shoes in the wet area. Some of my guys will sqeegee the floor outside the wet area in sandals or flip flops and wash the dirty water over their feet. Gross, dudes.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 09:18:46 am »
I'm a huge fan of the Georgia Boots, 6", steel toe and water proof. I'm a landscape contractor and these things go through hell and back in 14 hour days! One pair will easily last two years through mud, dirt, water, etc. Www.gemplers.com, they have a huge selection on any kind of footwear or workwear you can imagine!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 09:13:16 pm »
Carolina Boot Co.  USA made, hands down the best boots I've ever owned.  I think model 308, water proof, have been awesome.  I get the boot and take out the insole, then buy the black insole made by SOLE.  If you've never tied them, I highly recommend them.
Jeff B

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 10:31:50 pm »
At home I usually wear my Georgia Boot Romeos, at the brewery I'll slide on a pair of cheap muck boots with insoles if I want to clean quickly with the hose.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 04:57:42 am »
This is a great thread. My waterproof boots just started to fall apart. Thanks all!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 08:37:11 am »

Why you should wear boots. (Or if you have employees, why you should make them wear boots.)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 01:33:22 pm »
Ouch!

Not the first time I've seen that picture on this forum.  Still makes me cringe when I see it.  I'm a firm believer in the right equipment for the job.

My "work" (more like play in my case) boots are starting to tear out.  Good ideas in this thread.

Thanks!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 03:59:00 pm »
Wow.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 05:43:02 am »
Ouch!

Not the first time I've seen that picture on this forum.  Still makes me cringe when I see it.  I'm a firm believer in the right equipment for the job.

My "work" (more like play in my case) boots are starting to tear out.  Good ideas in this thread.

Thanks!

Paul

Sorry, man. I know it is gruesome. It happened when someone (not me) didn't close a valve and took off a clamp. I had a similar burn (though not as big) on my foot when I closed a valve but the remainder of wort in the line spilled on my foot. That was the last time I wore tennis shoes on the brew floor. When it happened I an not proud to admit that I screamed like a 12 year old girl. In fact, that is giving me more credit than I deserve. I'm still embarrassed but thankful no one was around at the time. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 05:46:09 am »
Yeah, I remember seeing that one.  Pretty nasty burn.
Jon H.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 06:20:32 am »
One of the homebrewers at our annual camp-out brew-a-thon got a burn just like that last month.  Boiling water does some serious damage.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 05:29:05 am »
I will antivouch against a kind of shoe that may seem comfortable but is quite unsafe in the brewery: the Croc. Not only do many varieties of Croc have holes that allow hot water/wort ingress, they also magically lose all traction on wet concrete. I speak from experience.

I now wear an old pair of hiking shoes with a neoprene upper and a big rubber lug. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 07:27:09 am »
I will antivouch against a kind of shoe that may seem comfortable but is quite unsafe in the brewery: the Croc. Not only do many varieties of Croc have holes that allow hot water/wort ingress, they also magically lose all traction on wet concrete. I speak from experience.

I now wear an old pair of hiking shoes with a neoprene upper and a big rubber lug.

I have a great joke about dudes who wear crocs that is rally funny but not proper to share on the forum.