Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: footwear  (Read 13645 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: footwear
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 06:08:41 am »
Ouch!

Not the first time I've seen that picture on this forum.  Still makes me cringe when I see it.  I'm a firm believer in the right equipment for the job.

My "work" (more like play in my case) boots are starting to tear out.  Good ideas in this thread.

Thanks!

Paul

Sorry, man. I know it is gruesome. It happened when someone (not me) didn't close a valve and took off a clamp. I had a similar burn (though not as big) on my foot when I closed a valve but the remainder of wort in the line spilled on my foot. That was the last time I wore tennis shoes on the brew floor. When it happened I an not proud to admit that I screamed like a 12 year old girl. In fact, that is giving me more credit than I deserve. I'm still embarrassed but thankful no one was around at the time.

No worries.  I've seen and in some cases, done, worse to myself.  It really is a good reminder or kind of a "scared straight" picture.  Some times we can forget how dangerous the things we do can be.  A shot like that is a powerful reminder of the power of hot water.  The fact I cringe a bit is a good thing since it makes me remember how much something like that hurts.

And there is no shame in screaming like a 12 year old boy when skin is pealing off your foot.   ;)  Burns hurt like nothing else does.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 04:39:26 pm »
We bought BOGS and really like them.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 04:34:15 am »
I just bought a pair of Keen Steel Toe work boots. I had some reservations about the steel toes because if something really heavy crushes your steel toe is can be even worse when they try to extract your feet from the clamped steel. But I also dropped a keg on my toe recently and that hurt!

They are really comfortable. So much so that when I got home I walked the dogs in them. Great support for standing on concrete all day. The water proofing on them are excellent and the non skid is pretty good, though seems that this could be the area of improvement. Regardless, for sheer comfort highly recommended.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 05:14:00 am »
I just bought a pair of Keen Steel Toe work boots. I had some reservations about the steel toes because if something really heavy crushes your steel toe is can be even worse when they try to extract your feet from the clamped steel. But I also dropped a keg on my toe recently and that hurt!

They are really comfortable. So much so that when I got home I walked the dogs in them. Great support for standing on concrete all day. The water proofing on them are excellent and the non skid is pretty good, though seems that this could be the area of improvement. Regardless, for sheer comfort highly recommended.

If anyone is in the market for a great pair of all around work boots I can't recommend these boots highly enough. They are called the Keen Detroit Mid and they are fantastic. All day comfort, no need to replace the inserts, water proof and did I mention comfortable? I'm considering getting a second pair without the steel toe for hiking. Cost is reasonable too - $124.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 02:31:11 pm »
My issue is that my feet sweat in the boots. I understand the importance of good shoes.

More then often I burn my hands thou.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2015, 10:02:25 pm »
My issue is that my feet sweat in the boots. I understand the importance of good shoes.

More then often I burn my hands thou.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C9P8BW8/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Surprisingly durable... I think I am on my second pair, we bought them in October 2013. Some of my assistant brewers are on their third+ pair though. Thick enough that they shield heat, thin enough that you can still move your fingers, grip things, etc.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2015, 10:59:26 am »
I use a heavy pair of open cuff leather gloves they protect from the heat and easy to remove if I get them wet with hot liquid.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2015, 01:26:20 pm »
I use the Blickman gloves. They work fine but they are quite thick. I will get me those from Amazon AnyhonyB.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2015, 04:29:02 am »

If anyone is in the market for a great pair of all around work boots I can't recommend these boots highly enough. They are called the Keen Detroit Mid and they are fantastic. All day comfort, no need to replace the inserts, water proof and did I mention comfortable? I'm considering getting a second pair without the steel toe for hiking. Cost is reasonable too - $124.

Take it back, they fell apart. damn!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2015, 06:46:14 am »

Wow, I have Keen sandals, shoes. The sandals are many years old and still in good shape. What was the failure mode? Do you think chimicals in the brewhouse were responsible?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2015, 07:52:00 am »
If you just want something that's comfortable, MOZO makes the clogs chefs and nurses wear. They are like $100 but my wife swears by them as they are the industry standard.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 08:08:10 am »

Wow, I have Keen sandals, shoes. The sandals are many years old and still in good shape. What was the failure mode? Do you think chimicals in the brewhouse were responsible?

I wear Keans hiking and back packing too. Side split seam near tread. Still comfy as hell till your foot gets wet. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the caustic but I try to to step in it much. I'm going to go back to store I bought them and see what they can do.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2015, 08:40:13 am »
While we're on the burn topic, never wear jeans if you have burn concerns.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2015, 08:48:09 am »
Keith it looks like you got 7 months of wear and tear on them. With my bad feet, my doctor and podiatrist have told me to get new shoes for every 6 months of wear. If you wore these daily and worked in them 6-7 days a week (brewer's hours, right) I don't think you can expect more out of a pair of boots. When I worked on my feet 60-70 hours a week in restaurant kitchens, I bought new red wing boots at least every 6-8 months. Just my .02, it's never fun to have soakers though.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2015, 08:50:35 am »
Keith it looks like you got 7 months of wear and tear on them. With my bad feet, my doctor and podiatrist have told me to get new shoes for every 6 months of wear. If you wore these daily and worked in them 6-7 days a week (brewer's hours, right) I don't think you can expect more out of a pair of boots. When I worked on my feet 60-70 hours a week in restaurant kitchens, I bought new red wing boots at least every 6-8 months. Just my .02, it's never fun to have soakers though.

Hey, thanks for that feed back. I never really thought about it that way. You are probably right!