Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BeerSmith Loss Adjustments  (Read 1440 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
BeerSmith Loss Adjustments
« on: January 13, 2015, 02:53:34 pm »
I've been noticing that I'm routinley ending up with a higher pre-boil volume than Beer Smith predicts. Does anyone know how/if I can adjust that?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: BeerSmith Loss Adjustments
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 03:16:50 pm »
You need to measure your losses and edit the equipment profile that you use. For instance, I have .41 gallons of dead space in my MT. I think Beersmith is defaulted to .25 gallons?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 03:22:39 pm »
You need to measure your losses and edit the equipment profile that you use. For instance, I have .41 gallons of dead space in my MT. I think Beersmith is defaulted to .25 gallons?

I measured the loss but my deadspace is already to 0 so can't figure out how to adjust

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 03:55:21 pm »
You are probably experiencing less boil off then beersmith predicts? You should be able to put in you post boil volume and adjust your boil off amount to reach you preboil volume. This will give you your evaporation rate which will be helpful for future batches. Maybe I am on the wrong track...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 04:05:20 pm »
You are probably experiencing less boil off then beersmith predicts? You should be able to put in you post boil volume and adjust your boil off amount to reach you preboil volume. This will give you your evaporation rate which will be helpful for future batches. Maybe I am on the wrong track...

It seems to be that I'm experiencing less loss of water during the mash & spare than expected - Beginning with the software stated water for mashing & sparging I end up with higher of a boil volume than predicted (½ Gallon excess in a 4gal batch last time). I just can't for the life of me figure out how to adjust it. 

I'm using kind of a weird system. Like a batch sparge/BIAB hybrid - basically I use a cooler as a mash tun but line it with a bag. After the mash I transfer the grain bag into the kettle to batch sparge. I then combine them in the kettle, let the bag drain out, and add the drippings to the kettle as well. As a result I'm not loosing a lot of my initial water.

Offline archstanton

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 04:37:24 pm »

It seems to be that I'm experiencing less loss of water during the mash & spare than expected - Beginning with the software stated water for mashing & sparging I end up with higher of a boil volume than predicted (½ Gallon excess in a 4gal batch last time). I just can't for the life of me figure out how to adjust it. 

I'm using kind of a weird system. Like a batch sparge/BIAB hybrid - basically I use a cooler as a mash tun but line it with a bag. After the mash I transfer the grain bag into the kettle to batch sparge. I then combine them in the kettle, let the bag drain out, and add the drippings to the kettle as well. As a result I'm not loosing a lot of my initial water.

From the main recipes screen, click the options( gear cog icon) button, once there click the advanced option over on the left side. This lets you change defaults for a number of calcs beersmith uses to get it's numbers.  Grain absorption is one of them.  good luck

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 04:38:21 pm »
Maybe those drippings are where you extra volume is coming from. I batch sparge in a cooler and basically cut it off a few minutes after it starts to sputter.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 08:14:57 pm »
From the main recipes screen, click the options( gear cog icon) button, once there click the advanced option over on the left side. This lets you change defaults for a number of calcs beersmith uses to get it's numbers.  Grain absorption is one of them.  good luck
[/quote]

That did the trick, thanks everyone