Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts on my ESB recipe  (Read 4445 times)

Offline brewcrew7

• Cellarman
Re: Thoughts on my ESB recipe
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 08:14:39 am »
Wyeast 1968 will work, but Whitbread "B" (Wyeast 1098, WLP007, S-04) is a better strain to use with this recipe.

Why in your opinion would Whit B work better over 1968? Also, what pitch rate, oxygenation and temperatures do you prefer? I agree with your torrified wheat comments as I've always received comments from tasters regarding the smooth creamy nature of beers I've used it in at that rate. I never have picked up on nutty/toasty flavors from it though as some have reported. Thanks!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 12:01:09 pm »
Why in your opinion would Whit B work better over 1968? Also, what pitch rate, oxygenation and temperatures do you prefer?

Whitbread "B" just works with this recipe. The different ester profile combined with a higher attentuation level than Wy1968 seems to enhance the malt and hops in this recipe while keeping the overall flavor profile distinctly British.  If I were to recommend a different strain for the recipe, it would be well-aerated Ringwood (Ringwood has high O2 demands).

As far as pitch rate goes, like most British brewers, I tend to underpitch my British-style beers.  Basically, take the cell count that Mr. Malty gives you and reduce it by a third to one-half.   British ale is not supposed to be ester free.  If you decide to underpitch, you need to ensure that you are not pitching stressed yeast cells and your wort is well aerated; otherwise, you risk having the culture throw a ton of trash.

I ferment all of my British-style ales in the 65F to 70F range (sometimes they creep up as far as 72F) without attemperation.  My basement remains below 70F most of the year.

With that said, please feel free to use whatever you have on hand and what pitch rate makes you happy.  That's beauty of making beer at home. 

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:53:27 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 12:33:43 pm »
To me, nothing else tastes quite like East Kent Goldings than East Kent Goldings. If you can get the real deal, then I'd really recommend that over the US Goldings.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewcrew7

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 01:56:49 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Your posts about yeast are always appreciated. The reason I ask is that I've never quite got the english character with my yeasts and that probably has much to do with my "higher" yeast counts and "lower" temperatures. They've all seemed rather too clean for what I was hoping.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 04:39:28 pm »
Mark is spot on as far as pitch rates for the British strains. The local brewpub that uses WLP-022 Essex makes a some pretty good British Ales, but when they want a more American type version, they double the pitch rate.

Getting a higher SO4 ppm will also give a British character.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 07:02:57 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Your posts about yeast are always appreciated. The reason I ask is that I've never quite got the english character with my yeasts and that probably has much to do with my "higher" yeast counts and "lower" temperatures. They've all seemed rather too clean for what I was hoping.

A warmer primary temperature (warmer, not super warm), coupled with well-aerated wort and a lower than normal pitch rate should do the trick.  You will need to experiment to see what pitch rate you like best.  If you can get your hands on Wy1768 (Young's strain), try underpitching it.  The green beer will have an unbelievable lollipop-like ester that fades as the beer matures. 

Offline Vogt52

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 02:22:14 pm »
I'm an RN as well and I've learned to not sweat the small stuff. Brewing isn't supposed to be stressful. Your recipe looks good. The hops aren't supposed to be very prevalent in an ESB. And for your starter, I usually do my starter on Thursday night and leave it at room temperature on a stir plate until brew day on Saturday