Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Please Help Me Plan My Trip To The US  (Read 6143 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Please Help Me Plan My Trip To The US
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2015, 09:09:00 am »
Although beautiful, that is along drive, especially if you get caught behind a "caravan" on the Pacific Coast Highway.  Just doing one portion of that trip might be more manageable.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2015, 09:38:59 am »
Although beautiful, that is along drive, especially if you get caught behind a "caravan" on the Pacific Coast Highway.  Just doing one portion of that trip might be more manageable.

I was thinking that but plugging it into the fantastical internet map machine (google) it's only a little shy of 1000 miles. a bit longer than driving from the northern tip of scotland to the southern tip of england. in 7 days that's 3 or 4 half days on the road with a few days stationary to catch a game or what have you. there are a lot of good breweries just off the I5 corridor.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2015, 11:16:55 am »

I was thinking that but plugging it into the fantastical internet map machine (google) it's only a little shy of 1000 miles. a bit longer than driving from the northern tip of scotland to the southern tip of england. in 7 days that's 3 or 4 half days on the road with a few days stationary to catch a game or what have you. there are a lot of good breweries just off the I5 corridor.

There is a pretty good one just off the 101 in Paso Robles named Firestone Walker. Some great wine around Paso too. One could drive parts to the PCH "the 1" near there, and not lose too much time.

Some friends who live in Orange County did a trip from San Diego to Vancouver BC, and that was about 3+ weeks IIRC, stopping in many places to see the sights.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:19:04 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2015, 11:42:26 am »
Another vote for California. It is America's best example of a Nanny State, so you might feel a little (but not too much) at home. The difference would be all seven previously mentioned worlds found in the States can be found there. Oh, and the weather is better, the suntans better, and the teeth obnoxiously whiter.

My favorite place to go would be Colorado, but California does have the reputation. Can't see much of it in a week though.

Online MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2015, 06:27:08 pm »
My $0.02. Unless Los Angeles is the lowest cost flight or there is something there you are dying to see I would skip it and fly into the San Francisco area and head North from there. That would save at least 400 miles of driving through some dry arid country without much scenery other than farming operations and some old vine vineyards.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 08:55:20 pm »
I think that from a brewery and weather perspective I wouldn't skip San Diego or the Central Coast (firestone). It's 16 hours driving from my place to my brother's in Portland.  Unless you really want to see a red bridge covered in fog I would skip the bay area.
- Charles

Online MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2015, 05:31:06 pm »
I'd fly across the country just to go to Tornado in San Fran right now. I've been to the San Diego location, close, but no cigar. ;)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2015, 05:37:46 pm »
I'd fly across the country just to go to Tornado in San Fran right now. I've been to the San Diego location, close, but no cigar. ;)

Why?  Do you like the abuse?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Online MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2015, 06:05:32 pm »
That's half the fun and the neighborhood of course and the fact they only take cash. ;)

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2015, 08:10:41 pm »

We went to the SD Toronado before the 2011 NHC. We thought it was a parallel universe Toronado. The staff were mostly young ladies (they did have lots of tattoos) that were helpful and cheerful. The bathrooms were semi-clean and not totally stinky. There was a little patio out back that was in the sun and looked to be a great place to set, but some that we know from the Falcons were well ensconced, and having too much fun! The clientele was as we can say, a little different from what we were used to at the original.

Mrs R and I like the SF Toronado, just because.  8)

Edit - there is now one in Seattle, if you can believe that.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:12:13 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2015, 08:26:24 pm »
I lived in England for about 3.5 years. I can't wait to go back, hell I might not return if I go!

That being said, 7-8 days of visiting and you want food, craft beer and baseball... I'd suggest... Well... That's a tough one. California isn't really "the US" it's ... California. Different breed out there. But it is cool, and probably your best bet for those three items. Personally, I'd skip the Major League Baseball games and find a Minor league game. Cheaper and more entertaining. Obviously there a ton of Craftbrewers out there as well.

Other suggestions, if you want to hit a few states, head to the north east. Boston, NY, etc. you can drive to other states about as fast as driving from Holland to Belgium to France and Luxembourg. The NE states have the same proximity as continental Europe.

Personally, I like the suggestion of Asheville, NC. But I'm kinda partial to it since I'm up that way a couple times a month. It's not but 3hrs away. And easy driving to hit the rest of NC for some great micro brews, and minor league baseball games.

Hell, if you do decide to hit NC, let me know, maybe I can show you a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk