Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boulevard Single Wide IPA  (Read 2045 times)

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
Boulevard Single Wide IPA
« on: May 06, 2010, 02:20:35 pm »
Tried another IPA last week. The Boulevard Single Wide IPA. A very interesting beer in my opinion compared to the others I've had.

Any of you tried it?

Review of Boulevard Single Wide IPA

Packaging

The package has a nice retro look to it. The fonts are thick and the colors are somewhat muted, giving this look a bit of a classic 1970’s style to it. The image on the front reminds me of those old Airstream bullets that people used to haul behind their trucks. There isn’t a lot of info on the label. It discusses bottle conditioning, which I think is cool and somewhat expected from Boulevard now, and the style category. I get a bit of info, but not as much I as I normally like. Luckily this one came with a suggestion from a reader and from Boulevard, which I’ve liked in the past.

Appearance

Bright golden in color with a nice, big, fluffy head. There is some nice lacing on the glass. This beer is also bottle conditioned so it has a yeasty haze to it.

Smell

A very subtle hop character that actually reminds me of a mowed yard or some kind of earthy foliage aroma. It is paired with a bit of citrus that didn’t hit me at first, and a bit more fruity smell than I was expecting.

Taste

I don’t get much sweetness in this IPA, which is good, but I really don’t get any sweetness at all. The hop bitterness attacks my tounge from front to back and the bitterness sticks to the back, but there doesn’t seem to be a malty sweetness to balance. In all honesty, it seems to be lacking a little bit on the front end of the tasting and explodes at the end. I get a little bit of pine and believe it or not, bread like, when I look deep into the flavor. It could be the yeast in the bottle.

Mouthfeel

Very zippy on the tounge, but I kind of expect that from IPA’s now. A medium bodied brew that goes down easy.

Drinkability

The bitterness does remind me of the Ranger IPA that I tried last week. It just seems to linger a bit longer than I’d like. However, I do think this beer has a decent drink-ability to it. I would prefer a bit of sweetness to counter balance the hop flavor. Not having made a night out of it, I’d say I’d be able to go 3 or 4 deep without a problem, but again, the bitterness could prevent me from going deeper.

Overall

A very surprising beer to me. I was not expecting something this complex. However, just because it is complex, does not mean it is better. I do recommend any hop lover to give this a try because the hop flavor and bitter is definitely apparent. If you like a bit of sweetness in your IPA, stay away from it as it will disappoint. Overall though, a nice beer and I really appreciate Jez Mez suggesting it to me! It will definitely go into the rotation.

Have you tried Boulevard Single Wide IPA? I’d love to hear your take on it. Also, it seems I’m working a lot on IPA’s so I’d appreciate any suggestions. Keep in mind, I live in Fargo, ND so selection is limited.

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
Re: Boulevard Single Wide IPA
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:30:39 pm »
It's been a while since I tried the Single-Wide, so it's one i'd have to revisit.

If you are looking for IPA's, my favorite non-imperial IPA is from Odell's.  They distribute to South Dakota and Minnesota, not sure how close you are to those, but I know that they border on ND, so if you find yourself in one of those states, I would highly recommend it.  Not as bitter as some of the IPA's out there, but just exploding with a very bright hop flavor and aroma.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 03:03:58 pm »
Singlewide is good stuff...I'm terribly pleased its in their main lineup.  For years Boulevard (my "local", toured it twice) has been devoted to the sedate, safe cliches of the brewing world, until the Smokestack line.  Now, mind you, an IPA is a pretty safe cliche of microbrewing, but still, its a good expansion of their affordable, regular line.  The Smokestack series ones are wonderful but a bit expensive for me!

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:41:16 pm »
If you are looking for IPA's, my favorite non-imperial IPA is from Odell's. 

+1 awesome IPA.  Their 90 shilling is great too.  Cant get it in OK though... :(

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 10:37:04 am »
It's been a while since I tried the Single-Wide, so it's one i'd have to revisit.

If you are looking for IPA's, my favorite non-imperial IPA is from Odell's.  They distribute to South Dakota and Minnesota, not sure how close you are to those, but I know that they border on ND, so if you find yourself in one of those states, I would highly recommend it.  Not as bitter as some of the IPA's out there, but just exploding with a very bright hop flavor and aroma.

Sweet. I do believe I've seen the logo, so I may have access to it. I'll check it out!

Thanks!

nicneufeld

I've seen the smokestack series. Its a bit expensive, but I may have to give it a go because you recommend it so highly!

I'll let you know what I find!

Thanks guys!