Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Briess Goes to all 2-Row  (Read 1864 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Briess Goes to all 2-Row
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:55:51 am »
I like the 6-row for some beers. Might have to play with high DP 2 row in the future for CAPs.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Pressroom/Default.htm
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Briess Goes to all 2-Row
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:02:32 am »
I have never tried 6-row. I guess I missed the boat.

Offline dordway29

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:13:42 pm »
It's no longer on their website but a lot of the specialty malts were made with 6-row. Unless you ask your LHBS or online supplier they often never tell you whether the crystal 40L you're buying is 2-row or 6-row. One the bag it would actually say 2-row Caramel/Crystal 40L or 6-row Caramel/Crystal 40L. Until now the C-20, C-90, blackprinz and a few others were always 6-row.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 11:11:46 am »
If you have ever used Briess specialty malts, you've used 6-row.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 11:44:31 am »
If you have ever used Briess specialty malts, you've used 6-row.

some of their specialties are 2 row, but unless you know what to look for you'll get 6 row.  I use Briess organic C60, which is 2 row.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:47:59 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:02:21 pm »
That's good to know.   It's even better to know that I no longer have to look on the bag.  I stopped using Briess specialties years ago because they were 6-row.  I have nothing against 6-row as a base malt.  I used 200lbs of it the year I was attempting to master American Standard Lager (don't ask) and brewing my fair share of Pre-Pro Pils.   However, I never cared for Briess 6-row specialty malts.

With that said, I see that you use Rahr 2-row.  How come you do not use Great Western?  Great Western should be fairly easy to come by where you live.   Anything has to be better than Briess 2-row, which is pretty much all my LHBS carries when it comes to domestic malt.   Schreier used to be my domestic 2-row of choice before the Cargill takeover.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 12:48:43 pm »
That's good to know.   It's even better to know that I no longer have to look on the bag.  I stopped using Briess specialties years ago because they were 6-row.  I have nothing against 6-row as a base malt.  I used 200lbs of it the year I was attempting to master American Standard Lager (don't ask) and brewing my fair share of Pre-Pro Pils.   However, I never cared for Briess 6-row specialty malts.

With that said, I see that you use Rahr 2-row.  How come you do not use Great Western?  Great Western should be fairly easy to come by where you live.   Anything has to be better than Briess 2-row, which is pretty much all my LHBS carries when it comes to domestic malt.   Schreier used to be my domestic 2-row of choice before the Cargill takeover.

I used GW for years and it's a close second to Rahr.  But in my taste testing, I found that beers made with Rahr tasted better.  Both are about the same price (Rahr may even be a bit cheaper) so that's not a consideration.  Same way I went from Weyermann to Castle to Durst to Best for pils malt.  I haven't used a Briess base malt since 1999.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 01:56:43 pm »
I haven't used a Briess base malt since 1999.

You're not missing anything.  It's still the same old Melba toast of the 2-row world.  Briess' slogan should be "No taste, Less filling!"  :)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 03:19:06 pm »
Interesting.  Well, at least Rahr and Cargill/Schreier 6-row is still available....for now.