Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Water Volumes  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Mash Water Volumes
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 01:37:17 pm »

Denny, thanks for that. For whatever reason I thought the water was WAY more important. I ended up paying over a dollar a gallon for distilled. Trust me, I'll be switching to tap water ASAP.

Get an analysis of your tap water from ward Labs.  But in general, if it tastes good it's close enough for a start.  If you make a hoppy beer (APA, AIPA) toss a tsp. or so of gypsum in the kettle.  You may find eventually that very light or very dark beers are better with some additions, but for now just worry about your brewing techniques.  Of course, if your water has chlorine or chloramine you should remove it, but that's easy.

I do have great tasting tap water, unfortunately it's running through a filter/ water softener unit. So I thought it may be better to use distilled w. the additions over that. What do you think?

If it were me, I'd go with the RO or distilled until I knew what my water was.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 02:07:13 pm »
And generally, bulk RO is cheaper than and more readily available than bulk distilled. Just picked up 10g for tomorrow's brew day for $3.90 and I will have to add maybe $0.20 worth of additions.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 02:20:16 pm »
Denny, thanks for that. For whatever reason I thought the water was WAY more important. I ended up paying over a dollar a gallon for distilled. Trust me, I'll be switching to tap water ASAP.

Get an analysis of your tap water from ward Labs.  But in general, if it tastes good it's close enough for a start.  If you make a hoppy beer (APA, AIPA) toss a tsp. or so of gypsum in the kettle.  You may find eventually that very light or very dark beers are better with some additions, but for now just worry about your brewing techniques.  Of course, if your water has chlorine or chloramine you should remove it, but that's easy.

I do have great tasting tap water, unfortunately it's running through a filter/ water softener unit. So I thought it may be better to use distilled w. the additions over that. What do you think?

In general you want to avoid water from a softener becasue ot may have a high level of sodium.  Filter may be OK.  I'd send a pre softener sample to Ward and see what they say.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell