Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Interesting hop experiment on basic brewing podcast  (Read 2574 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Interesting hop experiment on basic brewing podcast
« on: January 09, 2015, 02:43:38 pm »
I just listened to the 7–10–14 hopping technique experiment on basic brewing podcast and it was pretty interesting.  It was part two of the hopping experiment where the guys, in conjunction with bells brewing, did mash hopping, first wort hopping, and 60 minute hopping with everything else being equal.  They then did a blind taste test as well as calculated IBUs and measured IBUs.  Part two of the experiment was the exact same but they doubled the hops in all cases.  (Cascades).  Most of the tasters felt that the 60 minute and first wort hopped beers were very similar in bitterness and hop flavor (specifically, none of them felt that the FWH was any smoother), where the mash hopped beer was very mild and smooth.  The Lab measured IBUs showed that the highest was first wort hopping, followed closely by 60 minute hopping, with the mash hopped beers less than half of the other two.  The measured IBUs in all cases was also significantly lower than what have been calculated in the recipe (almost half).  On round two when they doubled the hops findings were similar.  Lots of interesting food for thought.  Of course as Denny always says though, personal experience and taste is most important.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Interesting hop experiment on basic brewing podcast
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 02:52:04 pm »
That was a good one.  I enjoy those experiment shows.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 03:51:05 pm »
This experiment was more fully discussed at the 2014 NHC apparently so there should be slides and audio on the AHA website.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 09:32:54 pm »
That talk is in the list from 2014. You have to log in to the main AHA screen, different to the forum log in.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/resources/conference-seminars/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:17:23 am »
I loved this experiment... because it supports my own theory that there's no real actual discernible difference between FWH and conventional.

My Conclusion: You can FWH if you want, it doesn't really hurt.  On the other hand, it doesn't necessarily help, either.  Six of one, half dozen the other.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 09:17:03 am »
I haven't heard this one but thanks for the info. I love these kind of experiments too. Reminds me of the decoction debate that people have. Always good to get some info from people who have done some taste tests.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 09:45:44 am »
My results from a similar experiment in 2008....start on pg. 29...

http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2008/DennyConn.pdf

Oh, the decoction experiment results are on pg. 25
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 04:33:18 pm »
Just read your entire presentation Denny, wish I would've read that along time ago when I just started brewing. Good write up and experiments. I think most of us are detail oriented and analytical thinkers, but I am realizing that you just have to brew what you like.....Which is kind of hard for beginners because they/we don't really know what ingredients makes the tastes that they like. That's why these forms are so important. Thanks
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 04:40:11 pm »
Can't wait to read it too Denny
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)