Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First All Grain test  (Read 1740 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
First All Grain test
« on: January 15, 2015, 05:06:44 pm »
This weekend there is a 99.9% chance that I'll be giving my all-grain setup a test run. Is there any benefit to doing a smaller batch (2.5-3 gallons) vs. doing a full 5 gallon batch?

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: First All Grain test
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 05:16:15 pm »
Less grain to buy.  Less weight to carry. That's about it. 

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 05:22:25 pm »
Less finished beer to drink. Wait, that's not a benefit, but JT has the plusses
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 05:35:26 pm »
+1.  You can brew more often, more different styles by doing small batches. And if it helps you feel less skittish doing your first AG batch, then go for it. I brew most batches in 5 gallons (personal preference) but have brewed many smaller batches , so remember - it's just as easy and quick to mash for 5 gallons as it is for half that, and you'll have more beer. After you collect the runoff in your pot, it's essentially an extract batch from then on, except that you made your own superior extract. I say memorize dennybrew, rdwhahb, and do what you like. It's easier than you think.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 08:36:50 pm »
It will take some time to dial in your new system. I'd really suggest brewing your typical batch sizes for a few brews. I think that's the best way to learn your new system.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 09:23:11 am »
It will take some time to dial in your new system. I'd really suggest brewing your typical batch sizes for a few brews. I think that's the best way to learn your new system.

+1. even if goes less than optimal, you will be learning and dialing in your process for your system. other than a few bucks lost (and perhaps some pride), you'll survive and probably make beer you can drink. good notes on everything you do so you can figure out improvements.

EDIT: I'm an all in type of guy-cant help myself  8)   anyway, keep it simple and just have fun whatever you decide.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:27:28 am by wort-h.o.g. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 09:33:56 am »

+1. even if goes less than optimal, you will be learning and dialing in your process for your system. other than a few bucks lost (and perhaps some pride), you'll survive and probably make beer you can drink. good notes on everything you do so you can figure out improvements.

EDIT: I'm an all in type of guy-cant help myself  8)   anyway, keep it simple and just have fun whatever you decide.

+2.  May as well start dialing in your system from the first batch.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 09:40:56 am »
This weekend there is a 99.9% chance that I'll be giving my all-grain setup a test run. Is there any benefit to doing a smaller batch (2.5-3 gallons) vs. doing a full 5 gallon batch?

Not the question you asked, but I wanted to pass on my first batch advice....don't freak out.  Inevitably, something won't go the way you thought it would.  Keep calm and think it through.  Take good notes so you can adjust next time.  Remember, malted barley WANTS to become beer!  No matter what happens, you'll make beer and you'll learn more about making beer.  And I repeat, don't freak out.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 05:56:29 pm »

Not the question you asked, but I wanted to pass on my first batch advice....don't freak out.  Inevitably, something won't go the way you thought it would.  Keep calm and think it through.  Take good notes so you can adjust next time.  Remember, malted barley WANTS to become beer!  No matter what happens, you'll make beer and you'll learn more about making beer.  And I repeat, don't freak out.

Words to brew by.