General Category > Kegging and Bottling

How much volumes of CO2 per gravity point?

(1/2) > >>

richardt:
Is there a simple rule of thumb for the level of carbonation achieved if one ferments for awhile in primary and then transfers (before FG is reached) to the keg or the bottle?

For example, given a beer with an OG of 1.070 and assuming a FG of 1.010 as our goal (perhaps even determined by FFT), how many volumes of CO2 could one expect if I filled a 12 ounce bottle with:
1.015 SG beer
1.020 SG beer
1.025 SG beer
1.030 SG beer
1.035 SG beer
1.040 SG beer

How about a 5 gallon Corny keg?

Is there a simple rule of thumb for remaining SG points to be fermented and levels of CO2 produced?
Does some allowance need to be made for pre-existing CO2 levels in beer that is being racked/bottled from the fermenter?

tygo:
Kai has some information on his site about this:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Accurately_Calculating_Sugar_Additions_for_Carbonation

richardt:
Thanks for the links, but Kai might as well be writing in wingdings. ???
It's too complex for me.
I'm looking for a "simple rule of thumb" that doesn't require a calculator (e.g., one "brix" = 4 "gravity points")

a10t2:
The calculations look pretty straightforward. He's saying you'll add 0.5% CO2 for every degree Plato of additional attenuation. Since 0.5% CO2 is about 2.5 vol, you need 0.4°P of attenuation (about 1.6 points) for every volume of CO2 you want to add.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: richardt on May 07, 2010, 07:20:38 PM ---Thanks for the translation.  I didn't see where 0.5% CO2 equals 2.5 volumes.
--- End quote ---

I don't think Kai converted, but 0.5 wt% is ~5 g/L, and CO2 density is ~2 g/L.

--- Quote from: richardt on May 07, 2010, 07:20:38 PM ---So, if I bottled a 1.015 SG beer (with no additional sugar) and FG w/in the bottle ended up being 1.010, then my bottled beer should be carbonated to 3 volumes of CO2.
--- End quote ---

Plus whatever's in the beer to start with. 0.9 vol at room temperature, give or take.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version