Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Franco Belges Malts  (Read 1498 times)

musseldoc

Franco Belges Malts
« on: January 17, 2015, 08:59:40 am »
I am going to try some MFB pils, pale and special aromatic malts. Anyone with experience with these malt have any recommendations for acheiving maxim clarity?  Does it require a slight protein rest for brilliant clarity or is it designed for single infusion mashes?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:09:54 am by musseldoc »

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Franco Belges Malts
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 10:00:27 am »
I am going to try some MFB pils, pale and special aromatic malts. Anyone with experience with these malt have any recommendations for acheiving maxim clarity?  Does it require a slight protein rest for brilliant clarity or is it modified for single infusion mashes?

I've never used them, but it's hard to find a modern malt that isn't okay to use in a single infusion mash.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

musseldoc

Franco Belges Malts
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 10:08:41 am »
Thanks.  I understand it will convert fine with all mash profiles.  I'm asking more about minimizing protein haze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 10:16:03 am »
I've used them a lot.  Good malts and there's nothing special you need to do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

musseldoc

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 11:09:42 am »

I've read that some of the Trappist breweries buy French malts.  Do you think the MFB pils adds anything to a belgian blonde, triple or golden strong that you wouldn't get with a belgian or german pilsner malt?  Anything in particular you notice as different between MFB and other continental pils malts?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 11:44:45 am »

I've read that some of the Trappist breweries buy French malts.  Do you think the MFB pils adds anything to a belgian blonde, triple or golden strong that you wouldn't get with a belgian or german pilsner malt?  Anything in particular you notice as different between MFB and other continental pils malts?

I've tested a lot of continental pils malts over the years.  Weyermann, Castle, MFB, Durst Best, and a few more I can't recall right now.  I've finally settled on Best for both German and Belgian styles...or anything else that needs pils malt.  It simply has the best flavor and is dead easy to work with.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell