Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mead: When to Add Pectic Enzyme  (Read 11987 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Mead: When to Add Pectic Enzyme
« on: January 17, 2015, 12:39:28 pm »
Making a raspberry mead - adding raspberries to the secondary.  Do i add the pectic enzyme during boil, prior to pitching yeast or after fermentation is done and I am adding the raspberries?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
Re: Mead: When to Add Pectic Enzyme
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 01:10:22 pm »
I guess I have to ask why you are boiling the fruit for a mead? If adding to secondary there should be enough alcohol to inhibit growth...

On another note... Still not sure what I did but the last raspberry melomel I made when adding fruit to secondary ended up tasting like cough syrup... I made it again out of frustration adding the raspberries when I mixed the must and it was great. YMMV.

Sent from Fermentationland.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline blatz

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 01:13:53 pm »
Not actually boiling - pasteurizing
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 01:20:18 pm »
Not actually boiling - pasteurizing
FWIW, I've never done that with any fruit for a mead and I've never had an issue. I just clean, freeze, then thaw the fruit.

If you're going to heat the fruit, you need to add pectic enzyme at the start of fermentation. From what I understand, pectic enzyme doesn't work post-fermentation.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline blatz

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 01:25:36 pm »
Using pre-frozen organic raspberries.  Going to add them to the secondary.  Should I not use the pectic enzyme ?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 02:09:45 pm »
Using pre-frozen organic raspberries.  Going to add them to the secondary.  Should I not use the pectic enzyme ?
Not if you are not heating them to boiling. I also add it it if I'm adding very hot water to the must to extract flavor from fruit just in case.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 02:13:37 pm »
I guess I have to ask why you are boiling the fruit for a mead? If adding to secondary there should be enough alcohol to inhibit growth...

On another note... Still not sure what I did but the last raspberry melomel I made when adding fruit to secondary ended up tasting like cough syrup... I made it again out of frustration adding the raspberries when I mixed the must and it was great. YMMV.

I always add the fruit when mixing the must. I add hot but not boiling water to mix the honey and extract the flavors of any fruit, herbs, or spices that are in a mesh bag.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 06:06:42 am »

I always add the fruit when mixing the must. I add hot but not boiling water to mix the honey and extract the flavors of any fruit, herbs, or spices that are in a mesh bag.
I prefer to add my fruit in primary as well, but there are some fruit (strawberries, I'm looking at you) that I just can't seem to get enough flavor out of unless I use at least some in secondary. Primary = better incorporated & more wine-like fruit flavor; secondary = fresher fruit flavor. At least in my experience.
Eric B.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 06:08:53 am »
I wouldn't bother, although I'm not really aware of any negatives with trying it. I wouldn't bother heating them, either.
Eric B.