Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OxyClean vs. PBW  (Read 8070 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: OxyClean vs. PBW
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 02:09:01 pm »
The only advantage I can see in using PBW is less need for rinsing.

I have no idea why this would be the case especially since the main ingredient in PBW is an oxygen cleaner like (if not identical too) oxi clean....

I don't know why it is (maybe different surfactants?), but I agree...PBW rinses more easily.

I think that's what the TSP substitute does.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Stevie

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 02:17:10 pm »

That is what I have read.

PBW is a higher quality product, but from my experience, oxyclean is good enough. The bit of extra rinsing is worth the cost savings.

I've also heard of folks using pure sodium percarbonate. It's expensive, but I think less is needed for the same results.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 05:06:04 pm »
I have been mixing oxyclean with TSP substitute from the paint dept. of the hardware store.  I can't remember exactly the proportions, 2:1 I think, but the info is available with a search.  It is much cheaper than PBW.
This is the same mixing ratio that I use.  PBW is great, but the cost is too much.  This mix works just as well.

+1. Two parts oxi to one part TSP substitute. Works great, especially at 160 degrees.
Jeff B

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 05:43:08 am »
The only advantage I can see in using PBW is less need for rinsing.

I have no idea why this would be the case especially since the main ingredient in PBW is an oxygen cleaner like (if not identical too) oxi clean....

I don't know why it is (maybe different surfactants?), but I agree...PBW rinses more easily.

Guess I just never noticed a problem rinsing oxi-clean.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 11:57:32 am »
Is one step the same as oxyclean?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 01:02:18 pm »

In the same family, but different.

I was just sent samples of 3 products from Craftmeister, a part of the company that makes BTF iodophor.  There are keg and carboy cleaning tabs, powdered alkaline brewery wash, and powdered oxygen brewery wash.  I'll report after I have a chance to use them.  You can check them out at http://craftmeister.com/
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 06:14:29 am »
PBW - RIses nice, gets a bit more grime off my stainless pans that my daughter has burned spray oil onto over and over. (compared to the other options).  In the brewery, other than it rinsing nicer than Oxiclean, and disolving better than one step... it cleans the same as far as I can tell.

Oxiclean with TSP - I have done this once or twice (only with brewery equipment) and it works just like PBW fin my opinion.  Rinses nice, get the labels off, cleans the kettles nicely...

Oxiclean only - Does not do as good a job on getting labels off as PBW, does not get the black grime off the pans as well as PBW.  But for the brewery, cleans equipmet plenty good.

Onestep - I bought a 5lb bag a couple years ago, and will not buy it again. (still have half the bag left)  It just seems that there is always a significant percentage of it that does not dissolve and keeps floating in the tub.  No amount of mixing or agitation will break up the "stryofoam beads" that float on the water and cling to the kettles/kegs as you pull them out of the water.   It rinses nice, but does not clean as well as oxiclean or PBW.  The white beads may be usefull in giving a visual on if you have actually rinsed it well enough... but I hate the beads clinging to my "clean" equipment.  :P

---- In my brewery I have 10lb of PBW and a container of Oxiclean.    For small batch cleaning I do all PBW.  (it is just easier, and I know it will work)  When I fill the utility tub to clean 5 or 6 kegs... I use about a 50/50 mix of PBW and Oxiclean.  That seems to get me everything I want, and saves a few pennies for my equipment addiction.
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 08:13:12 am »
I am in the oxy+tsp camp, for the money it works just as I like it, just have to make sure I do a good rinse...
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 08:30:32 pm »
I am in the oxy+tsp camp, for the money it works just as I like it, just have to make sure I do a good rinse...
I bought a small tub of a bargain brand (Sun Oxi) and was amazed at how well it worked by itself.  I'll have to try the mix with TSP.  I still have a couple tubs of (real) TSP.  What's the ratio you guys use for oxy+tsp?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 08:31:29 pm »
70% oxy 30% TSP
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 04:34:47 pm »

In the same family, but different.

I was just sent samples of 3 products from Craftmeister, a part of the company that makes BTF iodophor.  There are keg and carboy cleaning tabs, powdered alkaline brewery wash, and powdered oxygen brewery wash.  I'll report after I have a chance to use them.  You can check them out at http://craftmeister.com/

I got that same sample pack Denny.  (made contact at last years NHC)  IME the ABW works just a little better than PBW.  And a 40lb bucket delivered is only $120 vs $220 for PBW.  I just ordered my second bucket.