Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

How are you buying grains?

Buying Grains Online and crush at home
10 (27%)
Buying Grains Online (crushed by retailer)
1 (2.7%)
Buying Grains Locally at LHBS
22 (59.5%)
Other (please explain)
4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Buying Grains Online  (Read 3881 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: Buying Grains Online
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 07:20:03 am »
Same advice I give myself for most brewing purchases!  I have a Thermapen on it's way here as of a few minutes ago.

I purchased a Thermapen last year during an "open box" sale.  I do not know if was a sales gimmick, but the box in which my Thermapen arrived appeared to have never been opened.  I thought that my Thermapen was going to be the most ridiculous, money burning a hole in my pocket purchase that I have ever made, but it turned out to be one of the most frequently used pieces of gear that I own.  I also purchased a rubber boot for it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:49:39 pm by S. cerevisiae »

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 07:35:41 am »
That brings it around to buying a mill.  While I can(have) trolled the internet for reviews and wasted plenty of time, anyone want to weigh in on the best three options out there?

If money is a constraint, it's hard to beat the pre-adjusted Schmidling Model P Malt Mill.   I have a Schmidling Model Model P and a 3-roller Monster Mill, guess which one sees the most use?  My current Schmidling Malt Mill is actually the second Model P that I have owned. I sold the original pre-adjusted Malt Mill that I owned for over a decade when I let the hobby for several years.  I crushed just shy of two tons of malt on that mill, and the guy who currently owns it is now over three tons of malt on the same set of non-case hardened rollers.

With that said, if I had to do it all over again, I would purchase another Malt Mill.  I seriously doubt that I would purchase another Monster Mill.  While the overall build quality is good, there's more play in the rollers on a Monster Mill, which makes getting the rollers aligned such that they all spin freely with no binding more difficult. The hopper is also tricky to assemble. The Schmidling Mill is basically a bolt, screw, and crush mill.  Now, dealing with Jack Schmidling is an entirely different subject.  He's a unique character.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:47:42 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 08:35:04 am »
I work at my LHBS so im very spoiled.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 08:41:14 am »
I saw the Cereal Killer was on sale for around $99.

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
Buying Grains Online
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 08:43:23 am »
I'm curious to know who does what.

I buy my base grains locally in 55 lb. sacks. Specialty grains online, usually in 5 or 10 lb. bags, shopping around for prices. More Beer has good prices and free shipping when you buy $60 or more. I keep a supply of grains and hops on hand, so that I can brew anything I want whenever I have time, when the fancy hits me.

I crush all my grains at home on brew day.

What gap setting do you use on your mill?  I'm starting the same thing and don't really have any idea on a starting point.  I bought myself a Cereal Killer mill as a late birthday present.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:44:54 am by BairsBrewing »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 08:47:40 am »
With the rise in grain prices over the past couple years and the rise in shipping costs over the last five or so years it is rarely cheaper to buy online than locally. Many of the online shops that used to offer free shipping have done away with it. I think MoreBeer is the only one left that will do that but their prices are pretty much the same as local prices so in the rare instance I have ordered grain through them it is because none of the local shops had specialty malts I needed.

Shopping locally I usually have to put orders together out of two different stores. One has cheaper prices and most of what I need so I shop through them as frequently as I can. Another local shop has a slightly larger selection but the prices are unreasonable and I am not the biggest fan of his business model. I discovered a shop a few blocks from my house that sells distilling supplies and was able to pick up a sack of domestic two row on their Black Friday deals for under $50 and I bought a pail of unmalted wheat from Costco so at least I have a good supply of grains to keep me supplied for a while. (I brew a lot of sours and saisons with unmalted wheat.)
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 09:04:41 am »
I wait until I'm in Nashville and but the years worth every fall.  I also wait until companies offer flat rate and I buy the rest.  Locally they sell Briess, I just cant do that brand, so I buy in bulk with pickup or flat rate.

Have you ever asked one of your LHBS owners if they take special orders?  The distributor that distributes Briess also distributes domestic malt from Canada Malting, Gambrinus, and Great Western as well as imported malt from Baird, Best Malz, MFB, and Thomas Fawcett. You may have to wait until the owner orders his/her next pallet of malt.

I haven't asked, but there is a new LHBS that just opened.  I will have to ask.  Their only 10 minutes away which would be nice.  I bought 7 sacks in Dec.  I should be good for a little while.
Jeff B

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 09:06:06 am »
I'm curious to know who does what.

I buy my base grains locally in 55 lb. sacks. Specialty grains online, usually in 5 or 10 lb. bags, shopping around for prices. More Beer has good prices and free shipping when you buy $60 or more. I keep a supply of grains and hops on hand, so that I can brew anything I want whenever I have time, when the fancy hits me.

I crush all my grains at home on brew day.

What gap setting do you use on your mill?  I'm starting the same thing and don't really have any idea on a starting point.  I bought myself a Cereal Killer mill as a late birthday present.

I have a fixed gap mill that is factory set at .040 mil.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 09:07:35 am »
What is you're efficiency like?  Mine is adjustable and was set, I say was because like any guy, I had to figure out how the thing worked. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 09:11:03 am »
I would shop locally, and do when I need a touch of this or a little of that, and for yeast, but I can't get organic malts locally so I have to order on line. When my brew club organizes a bulk buy, if organic products are available I'll jump on that though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 09:37:16 am »
I pay between $48 and $52 for a sack of 2 row at my LHBS. No way that, with shipping, any online store can beat that even with me paying tax.
A few years ago Austin Homebrew made a mistake and I got a sack of Rahr for $44 and free shipping.  It was corrected the next day but I got lucky.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 12:47:06 pm »
I pay between $48 and $52 for a sack of 2 row at my LHBS. No way that, with shipping, any online store can beat that even with me paying tax.
A few years ago Austin Homebrew made a mistake and I got a sack of Rahr for $44 and free shipping.  It was corrected the next day but I got lucky.

I think you're right. Seems very low. NB is just at $60 with shipping down here to Florida.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 12:54:12 pm »
I used to buy bulk direct from Mid-Country until they put the kibosh on selling direct to homebrewers. After that, my LHBS.  However, the last time I went to buy German Pils and Golden Promise in bulk, I shopped around and Northern Brewer was cheaper than any LBHS in the area. It wasn't a huge savings, but still cheaper and saved me have to drive to get them. Domestic 2-row and specialty grains I still get locally unless it is something they do not carry. Rahr 2-row I can get locally for ~$38.00
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:55:52 pm by Rhoobarb »
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197