Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Chemistry  (Read 3023 times)

Offline JohnnyC

• Cellarman
Re: Water Chemistry
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 08:35:25 am »
Thank you everyone. I'll try to tweak the Calcium down. It's my first time really working with the water chemistry. Hopefully, I will make beer. Cheers!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 08:44:56 am »
Thank you everyone. I'll try to tweak the Calcium down. It's my first time really working with the water chemistry. Hopefully, I will make beer. Cheers!

yeah thats just really hard to work with when you start with such high calcium. i dont know much about city water but that just seems really up there.

anyway, RO or distilled is always an option at some point. you'll be able to manage the sulfates without worrying about a ton of calcium or having to use too much epsom that its gives you the trots!

good luck
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 12:52:52 pm »
any feedback on calcium levels and if there's any  negative effects at higher levels?

In ale brewing, there doesn't seem to be too much detriment to brewing with high calcium content. One aspect that may be either good or bad, is that yeast flocculate and settle much faster with high calcium content. For example, Burton beers were always praised for their clarity. But a negative would be if your ale yeast flocs too quickly and your beer doesn't attenuate and you have to somehow rouse the yeast to get it to finish its job!

In lager brewing, there definitely is a negative to high calcium. It can interfere with the yeast metabolism and can cause premature flocculation (as above).

In general, calcium doesn't really affect flavor. Its the other ions (Cl, SO4, HCO3) that affect flavor. 50 ppm Ca seems to be a minimum value for ales since you may have problems getting the beer to clear quickly at levels lower than that. Lagers don't have to clear quickly since they are 'lagered' and that slow process does the work. Of course, this whole clearing issue is easy to fix...either fine, filter, or centrifuge the beer to remove the yeast.

AHA members will get to read more about this calcium in brewing water in the March/April 2015 issue of Zymurgy. It helps put to rest the myth that brewing water should always have at least 50 ppm calcium.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline JohnnyC

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 10:41:22 am »
Here was my final profile on my IPA
Ca+2    103.0 ppm
Mg+2       8.9 ppm
Na+      34.1 ppm
Cl-      53.5 ppm
SO4-2  187.4 ppm   
Alkalinity   44.3
RA            -34.3

For my first attempt at water chemistry, I am extremely happy with the results. Bitterness is very smooth, mouthfeel is incredible, an all around better brew than the first time I brewed this recipe. I don't detect any issues with the high calcium. This hobby just keeps getting more and more fun. Thank you for all the help. 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 10:41:05 pm »
As a lager brewer I am pleased to hear your input Martin.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"