Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Custom Tap Handles  (Read 4149 times)

Offline rkausch

• 1st Kit
Custom Tap Handles
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:42:37 pm »
I'm doing the beer for my wedding (which is a year away, so I have plenty of time), and am going to build a 4-tap jockey box.  I'd like to do custom tap handles with the special beer labels that we're putting together, and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this.

Thanks in advance!
Rob

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Custom Tap Handles
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 02:43:31 pm »
Chill your beers in advance,  then ice will be sufficient to keep the beers cool.

When you build the tapbox keep your handles over 3 inches on center.  Most tap handles are about 3 inches wide and you want some separation to show them off. 

I built a box out of 1/2 mdf for my son's wedding, 3 inches on center.  The 3 inches works well if you are using the standard black handles but you will want more room for your custom handles.  Mine is a box with 6 taps with a drip tray, the box doubles as storage for the gas lines and the beer lines.

See my website for more of an idea of what I did. http://beerdujour.com/Wedding.html

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:21:29 pm »
Buy table legs, a strip of 2"x1/4", and the threaded inserts from your local hardware store.  Buy the cheap 2"x3" photo frames from Wal-Mart.

Chop off the bolt from the table leg and round off with a router.
Drill a hole in the base of the leg for the threaded insert.
Insert the insert.
Chamfer the edges of the 2x1/4 such that it fits into the back of the photo frame.
Cut into 3" lengths.
Screw onto table legs.
Stain a nice color.
Print 2x3 beer labels, place in frames and slide over mount on the tap handle

I can add more step by step photos of needed, but I dont have them to hand

These cost $4 for the table leg, $1 for the frame, $.50 for the inserts and the rest (2x1/4 and stain) was already in the garage.  Better than $40 a tap online.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 01:01:47 pm »
That's really classy looking!  Yes, do add more photos when you have the time.  I'd like to do something very similar to what you've done and the more details and photos you provide--the more likely I'll be able to pull this off.

Offline rkausch

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 01:35:34 pm »
That really is pretty nice looking.  I'm going to attempt to replicate, and I'll make sure to take lots of pictures in the process.  Thanks for that!

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:16:24 am »
Those handles look incredible -- well done!  I, too, would really love to see more photos and maybe a detailed step-by-step on how to make them.   
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial