Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Crusher  (Read 1161 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Grain Crusher
« on: January 21, 2015, 12:49:36 pm »
I've seen a mention of Schmidling Model P, Monster Mill, and of course I mentioned Cereal Killer. IF someone were to go further down the rabbit hole and buy one what would you recommend?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Grain Crusher
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 12:54:10 pm »
Here is a good thread to look at: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=21076.0

But in the mean time, I have had 3 mills: Cereal Killer, Captain Crush, and now Schmidlings.  Schmidlings is the best of those.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:56:50 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 02:10:38 pm »
Here is a good thread to look at: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=21076.0

But in the mean time, I have had 3 mills: Cereal Killer, Captain Crush, and now Schmidlings.  Schmidlings is the best of those.

I should use that search function more often! Thanks for the link.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 02:50:30 pm »
I recently made the move from a Barley Crusher that stopped crushing barley to a Monster Mill 3. I've only got one batch on it but the thing is solid, has a huge, sturdy hopper and I'm confident I'll get years of reliable use.  S'pose I'm gonna find out.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 03:11:33 pm »

I have used a Schmidling adjustable for nearly 15 years an untold hundreds of lb. of grain.  Still going strong and doing a great job.  If I needed a new mill, I'd buy another one.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 03:18:58 pm »
I currently own a Schmidling Model P and a 3-roller Monster Mill.  If I had to start over again, I would purchase another Schmidling mill.  My current Model P is actually my second fixed-gap Malt Mill.  I sold my original fixed-gap Malt Mill when I left the hobby for several years.  Schmidling mills are definitely not the sexiest mills on the market, but they last forever under real world use.