Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is boiling necessary?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
Is boiling necessary?
« on: January 18, 2015, 07:51:26 am »
So I brewed a big healthy bock recently that did awesome.  I saved the yeast from the primary fermentation, rinsed it, and put it in masion jars that had soaked in iodine solution.  After watching some youtube videos of people washing their yeast I noticed that they were boiling their jars instead of using a sterlizing solution.  Am I in trouble having only used the iodine solution?  Is my yeast contaminated?  I was planning on repitching it for a dopplebock 

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Is boiling necessary?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 07:56:10 am »
You're fine.  No worries.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 04:30:29 pm »
+1 providing you gave it ample time to sanitize.  You should try to use that saved yeast within a couple days or so.  If not, then a starter should be utilized. 

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:01:54 pm »
+1 providing you gave it ample time to sanitize.  You should try to use that saved yeast within a couple days or so.  If not, then a starter should be utilized.

How big of a starter should be made?  Why does a starter need to be made?  do the yeast hibernate and just need to be reactivated, or do I need to produce more cells? 

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 08:23:01 pm »
Yeast will keep fine for a week or two without making a starter.  After that, you should make a starter to wake up the yeast AND produce more cells, as the cells will begin to die in a short time.  Besides, if you want to make a doppelbock, you'll need a huge amount of active yeast for a big lager if you want it to turn out tasting as good as possible.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 08:07:53 am »
for what it's worth, neither boiling nor idophor sterilize anything. sanitize, yes, and that's good enough most of the time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:31:14 pm »
Sanitation is important, yes, but I use regular ziplock bags frequently to store yeast with no problems.  Jars or other containers are soaked in StarSan and used without issues.  Boiling is unnecessary, but can be used for vessels that can handle that.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"