Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

How are you buying grains?

Buying Grains Online and crush at home
10 (27%)
Buying Grains Online (crushed by retailer)
1 (2.7%)
Buying Grains Locally at LHBS
22 (59.5%)
Other (please explain)
4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Buying Grains Online  (Read 3887 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Buying Grains Online
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:11:18 pm »
I'm curious to know who does what.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Buying Grains Online
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 06:23:36 pm »
I'm curious to know who does what.

I buy my base grains locally in 55 lb. sacks. Specialty grains online, usually in 5 or 10 lb. bags, shopping around for prices. More Beer has good prices and free shipping when you buy $60 or more. I keep a supply of grains and hops on hand, so that I can brew anything I want whenever I have time, when the fancy hits me.

I crush all my grains at home on brew day.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 06:34:29 pm »
Didn't know that Morebeer shipped the bags of grain for free. Thought it didn't apply to bulky items

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:42:27 pm »
Didn't know that Morebeer shipped the bags of grain for free. Thought it didn't apply to bulky items

I don't know about 55 lb. sacks, but I just got a box with a couple of 5 and 10 lb. bags that qualified for the free shipping.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:11:06 pm »
I wait for Label Peelers to have a 25% off sale when I need base malts. I'll order about 200 lbs online for store pick up. Then when it's ready, I drive the 45 minutes to pick it up. I also crush my own. So it's a hybrid of everything lol.
Frank

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 07:13:57 pm »
Grain is an item that I learned to purchase locally fairly quickly.   Shipping usually more than offsets any savings gained by not purchasing locally when purchasing malt in bulk.   I have a very good LHBS that will special order a bag of any malt that they can get through one of there distributors.  Remember, your LHBS owner stocks what sells, but he/she is also in the business of making money; therefore, most shop owners will take special order grain requests if one is willing to be patient.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 07:19:43 pm »
One last thing, a roller mill is a good investment.  Pre-crushed malt is to freshly milled grain what pre-ground coffee is to freshly ground coffee.  The joy of using a well-designed mill lingers long after the sting of purchasing it fades. 

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 07:41:52 pm »
I wait until I'm in Nashville and but the years worth every fall.  I also wait until companies offer flat rate and I buy the rest.  Locally they sell Briess, I just cant do that brand, so I buy in bulk with pickup or flat rate.
Jeff B

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 08:06:05 pm »
MoreBeer will ship all but full sacks for free. The price of a full sack with shipping is still cheaper versus 10lb bags. Local is the best deal in my experience.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 08:10:22 pm »
I wait until I'm in Nashville and but the years worth every fall.  I also wait until companies offer flat rate and I buy the rest.  Locally they sell Briess, I just cant do that brand, so I buy in bulk with pickup or flat rate.

Have you ever asked one of your LHBS owners if they take special orders?  The distributor that distributes Briess also distributes domestic malt from Canada Malting, Gambrinus, and Great Western as well as imported malt from Baird, Best Malz, MFB, and Thomas Fawcett. You may have to wait until the owner orders his/her next pallet of malt.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 08:34:39 pm »
I don't have an LHBS to speak of, so online is a necessary evil for me. I try to buy in bulk when I see a decent deal, or order a few 5lb bags when I'm ordering from someone who offers flat rate shipping.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 08:49:59 pm »
The joy of using a well-designed mill lingers long after the sting of purchasing it fades.
Same advice I give myself for most brewing purchases!  I have a Thermapen on it's way here as of a few minutes ago.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 10:21:49 pm »
Lucky to be in a region that has options for a LHBS.  One downside is the community mill and while they do their best to keep it dialed in I suspect it varies by visit.  That brings it around to buying a mill.  While I can(have) trolled the internet for reviews and wasted plenty of time, anyone want to weigh in on the best three options out there?
Run then beer.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 10:25:16 pm »

Lucky to be in a region that has options for a LHBS.  One downside is the community mill and while they do their best to keep it dialed in I suspect it varies by visit.  That brings it around to buying a mill.  While I can(have) trolled the internet for reviews and wasted plenty of time, anyone want to weigh in on the best three options out there?
There are plenty of threads discussing this. That said, I am more than happy with my 2 roller monster mill. A bit of a PIA to assemble the hopper, but i do not regret it at all.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 12:50:53 am »
I always buy uncrushed. I have purchased online before, but usually I buy from my LHBS. My latest supply comes from part of a bulk purchase together with other homebrewers directly from the maltster.