Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Day Updates  (Read 3848 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brew Day Updates
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 10:36:11 am »
Sounds like a great day Justin!!

Looks like you took a lot of good notes as well which will help you tweak things in the process so the next brew days goes that much smoother!

Cheers!
Gary
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 11:43:37 am »
I have never been able to consistently hit my post boil batch size target exactly. I usually aim to end up 0.25-0.5G below my batch size target and then top up with water. This of course decreases the SG.

Do you allow for kettle losses above beyond too high of an evaporation rate when you formulate a recipe?

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Brew Day Updates
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2015, 01:59:29 pm »
I have never been able to consistently hit my post boil batch size target exactly. I usually aim to end up 0.25-0.5G below my batch size target and then top up with water. This of course decreases the SG.

Do you allow for kettle losses above beyond too high of an evaporation rate when you formulate a recipe?
I pour everything in the fermenter.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 09:05:46 pm »

Just an update...I do have a bit of these little white things in the boil from the mash..no big chunks or hulls.

Just a follow up on this picture. Is it generally ok for these parts of the malt to get into the wort? Is this an issue with my MLT allowing too much "stuff" through?

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 09:12:22 pm »
Just a follow up on this picture. Is it generally ok for these parts of the malt to get into the wort? Is this an issue with my MLT allowing too much "stuff" through?
You're fine.

Editing to expand a bit.  If you introduced too much grain into your boil the off flavor you would produce is called astringency, described as a mouth puckering dryness.  I think Palmer referred to it as similar to sucking on a tea bag.  (let the jokes begin)  I believe this would take a significant amount of grain. 
I think a more common cause for astringency would be inappropriate mash pH that resulted in tannin extraction from the grains.  I've definitely done this before I decided it was in my best interest to learn about water.  Luckily, brewers have a fix: Bru'n Water software from Martin. 
What I see in your kettle is nothing to worry about at all.   
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:26:12 pm by JT »